1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Music Terminology

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Josh_, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    I am going to be doing a report on some of the differences of Arabic/Eastern music and American/Western music and I was curious about ho one would describe western music terminology in Arabic. It seems like many words are just borrowings.
    Here is a partial list. If any are wrong, or there is a better term, please let me know.

Musical notation التنويت الموسيقي
    Rhythm الإيقاع
    Beatترقيم الميزان
    Scale سلم
    Flat علامة التنقيض
    Sharp علامة الزيادة
    Step درجة
    Half step نصف درجة
    Quarter step ربع درجة
    Microtones
    Half flat علامة نصف تنقيض
    Half sharp علامة نصف زيادة
    Tempoدرجة الحركة
    Key مفتاح
    Improvisation – تقسيم
    Interval الفواصل
    Chromatic scale سلم ملون
    Accidentals علامات تحويل النغمة
    Time (meter) ميزان
    Rests راحة، سكتة
    (musical) note نوتة (موسيقية)
    Octave أوكتاف
    Mode
    Tone نغم
    Major scale سلم كبير
    Minor scaleسلم صغير

--
    Is there an Arabic term to describe the mode system used in western music or would one just used مودor موض ? As the Arabic mode system is different and more complex than the western one مقام does not really work.
    If there is no other word then I suppose the following sentence would be translated as thus, with the transliterated English word:

It would be incorrect to call the Arabic music system modal, because it is more complex than the western system. The basis of Arabic music is the maqam which looks like the mode, but is not quite the same.

من الخاطئ أن نسمى النظام الموسيقي العربي "موضال" لأنه معقد أكثر من النظام الغربي. المقام هو أساس الموسيقي العربي و بيد أنه يشبه ال المقام الموض يختلف منه إلى حد بعيد.

Elroy, I’m not sure if this one constitute two separate topics, so if you feel it should be separated out, do so.

I may have more questions later on, possibly about specific sentences, so those would be better to start in a new thread, right?

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    Comments on the translations of the terms. Anything I did not comment on looked ok to me.

I'm not really sure if there is a word.
    Here's how I'd put it. I've left "mode" untranslated.

من الخطأ أن نطرح علي النظام الموسيقي العربي اسم mode فهو أكثر تعقيداً من النظام الغربي. إن أساس الموسيقي العربية هو المقام الذي يشبه الmode الغربي ولكنه يختلف عنه.
    No, it's fine here.

Yes, that would be better.

3. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Thanks for your help, elroy.

I thought is seemed strange also, but I actually found the word here. Looking it up in a few dictionaries it appears that it has to do with the idea of soloing, so improvisation by itself may not be entirely accurate.

4. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    Well, I'm not familiar with that term but the transliteration is taqâsîm so if you want to use it the spelling should be تقاسيم.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.