Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by manda222, Dec 24, 2005.

1. manda222 New Member

I speak no German whatsoever, and have been challenged by my boyfriend to find out what this word means. After hours upon hours of searching, he has told me it is German. I believe it is slang, which is why I am having such a hard time, because I still cannot find it's meaning. The word is 'mutti'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

Hi Manda, welcome! :)

The word Mutti means mom, a familiar name for Mutter = mother.

Hope this helps.

3. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Do you already know about our resources thread? Here you can find lots of dictionaries and so on ... among them this. I guess that will save you some time.
  4. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member

Westphalia, Germany
    Westphalia, Germany; German

Right - and it's the southern German variant!
    People in North Germany don't call their mothers "Mutti", but "Mama".
  5. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

I call my mother "Mama", and my friend five houses down the street calls his "Mutti". That may be because I live in the middle of Germany. I use some Northern as well as Southern variants of words and expressions. :)
  6. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member

Westphalia, Germany
    Westphalia, Germany; German
    Hmm.. that's indeed an interesting situation then. I'd guessed that your friend - or at least his mother or father were from the South then.
    In the case of "Mama" "Mutti", there's a quite strict splitting in two regions actually.

Oh, and manda222:

In TV-movies and series, you can often hear, that people call their parents "Mutter" and "Vater" - I don't really have a clue why the film producers do that, but I daresay nobody calls his parents "Mutter" and "Vater". ;)
  7. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

It is interesting, but I know that neither his "mom" nor his "dad" is from the South. It may be because he lives (as I do) in a village and his grandma speaks a quite strong village accent. :D Many students in my class and parallel class and school call their parents "Mutti" and "Vati", although many call them "Mama" (albeit it sounds quite childish).
  8. Lollo230 New Member

German - Germany
    Actually I don't believe there is a connection to south or north germany. Me and my father come from the middle/north of Germany. He calls his parents "Mutti" and "Vati". I always call him "Papa", which belongs to "Mama". My mother, who comes from real northern Germany calls her parents "Mutti" and "Vater", and I always switch between calling her "Mutti" and "Mama". As I was a baby my parents were "Mama" and "Papa". When I was a teenager I thought that Mama was sounding very childish, so I began to call her "Mutti". I think there is "Mama" because "Mutti" is too difficult for Babies. Or, if it is really splitted into two regions, maybe it is east/west, not north/south? All my family is from east.
  9. Kardamom New Member

Im from the West and I know both 'Mutti' and 'Mama'. I think 'Mama' is more usual but no one would find it strange if someone says 'Mutti'. Maybe it has nothing to do with the region you come from at all but with which term you grow up?
  10. LüLü333 Member

Also mein Vater und meine eine Oma - und auch viele aus der älteren Verwandtschaft - sagen immer "Muddi". Sind hier im Norden geboren und leben auch noch hier. Mein Vater spricht meine Oma immer mit 'Muddi' an. Hingegen meine Mutter ihre Mutter immer mit "Mama" anspricht.
    Mir ist beides sehr vertraut.
  11. Resa Reader Senior Member

In Bavaria it's 'Mama/Papa/Oma/Opa' I personally don't know anybody who says 'Mutti/Vati' here in my region.