1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Grace Etchart New Member

Nacida en México, soy de Canadá
    undefined :confused:

hello I have a problem, in helping someone with Spanish I find myself instinctively knowing how to correctly construct a correct Spanish sentence but unable to expalain the "why" For example the adverb "muy" and "mucho" one of many beginning lang problems ...
    "Hace mucho calor " not , "muy calor", and "este cuarto es muy caluroso" I know that , but why ? is it idiomatic , does it have to do with whether it modifies a verb or a noun ? Im looking for a rule , I understand of how and where to use it , but I cant find a rule , so if you can help me Id appreciate it!
    Its funny, one can speak a language fluently , yet be so ignorant about the mechanics of grammar... thanks for the help

embarassed one

2. Lala Junior Member

Argentina - Español
    mucho es un adjetivo de cantidad y por lo tanto, modifica a un sustantivo
    "mucho" calor
    muy es un adverbio, y por ello, siempre modifica a un adjetivo
    "muy" caluroso

Es simple :)

3. funnydeal Senior Member

Mexico, D.F.
    Mexico / Español
    Mucho can be either an adjective or adverb.

As adjective ( a lot /many, much) it precedes a noun and reflects number and gender (mucho, mucha, muchos, muchas)

Mucha gente fue a la fiesta / A lot of people went to the party.
    Muchas palabras quiero decirte / So many words I want to tell you.
    Muchos libros serán vendidos / Many books will be sold.

As adverb (very much ) never changes the form. It reflects a degree of quantity (increasing) of the action is the verb.

El trabaja mucho / He works very much

Muy is an adverb (very)

La película es muy interestante / The movie is very interesting
    Lo estás haciendo muy bien / You are doing very good/well

Never use “muy mucho”.

Please correct me

4. Gustavo Mejia New Member

Colombia Spanish
    Funnydeal is right. One more point:

mucho precedes a noun when functioning as an adjective. However it follows a verb in the same function:

Adj: tengo mucho trabajo.
    Adv: trabajo mucho.

Muy, on the other hand, always works as an adverb and always precedes its object:

muy alto ( never say: *alto muy)

5. mar-ta New Member

Español
    I completly agree with your explanation, but I have a doubt that maybe you can solve. It's about "mejor" when it works as an adjetive. I wonder why I cannot say "muy mejor". Following your explanation, that is the farthest I've arrived, wouldn't be against the rules... Can you help? Does it have anything to do with the fact that "mejor" is an adjetive comparative?

Thank you!!

6. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    In that case, mucho would be an adverb modifying the adjective mejor.

Lo hiciste mucho mejor.

7. Mr. Bear Senior Member

San Bernardino, CA
    English/U.S.
    ¡Yikes! I have been saying "muy mucho" often, and for a long time. Is that totally wrong? And is that the meaning of "muchísimas"?

Gracias por corrigirme.

8. geostan

geostan Senior Member

English Canada
    Yes, absolutely wrong. And yes, that is the meaning of "muchísimos"

Cheers!

9. Románico New Member

spanish
    What's happened with the expression "piénsatelo muy mucho antes de hacerlo" it's similar to "piénsatelo mucho antes de hacerlo" but it's not the same. I know it's not very usual, but it's always good to know that we could use "muy mucho" (toghether) sometimes.

10. mhp Senior Member

American English
    "Muy mucho" is not incorrect and you are using it correctly. :)

"Muy mucho" means muchísimo and it is used to modify verbs, but never adjectives and adverbs.

muchísimo guapo :cross:= muy mucho guapo :cross:
    piénsatelo muchísimo:tick: = piénsatelo muy mucho :tick:

For more information see: http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltGUIBusDPD?origen=RAE&lema=mucho#7

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  11. 0scar Senior Member

Furlan-Argjentine
    Nadie que no hable un perfecto spanglish dice muy mucho.

12. mhp Senior Member

American English
    I am not sure what you mean by that. Perhaps you missed the link to the RAE website at the bottom of my previous post. :)

7. muy mucho. El adverbio mucho también se apocopa ante sí mismo, dando lugar a la expresión adverbial enfática de valor superlativo muy mucho, que significa ‘muchísimo’: «Emprendí el segundo viaje cuidándome muy mucho de mantener la llama del velón a una distancia precisa de mi rostro» (Díaz Piel [Cuba 1996]). Esta expresión se usa solo como modificador verbal y no se emplea, por tanto, antepuesta a adjetivos o adverbios: *muy mucho guapa o *muy mucho lejos no son construcciones posibles por la misma razón por la que no se dice :cross:muchísimo guapa o :cross:muchísimo lejos.
    (DPD)

13. 0scar Senior Member

Furlan-Argjentine
  14. mhp Senior Member

American English
    I agree that it could be a question of style. But so are most other things. :)
    At any rate, there is nothing wrong with "muy mucho" as noted in the DPD. Perhaps it is not used in Argentina and that's why you think it is Spanglish.

...acabo de quitarme la máscara de la vergüenza para decir a usted que me convendría muy mucho... (Pérez Galdós, Benito)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  15. OhPorDios Junior Member

Argentina
    Español - Argentina
    Me parece que "muy mucho" se usa sólo en España.

Nunca oí ni leí a algún latino decirlo, y creo que cualquiera diría que es incorrecto (por lo menos ya sabemos que ni en México ni en Argentina se usa).

En un lugar "internacional", como este, pienso que sería mejor usar "muchísimo" en lugar de "muy mucho"