My apologies for the delay.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by huru, Jun 18, 2009.

1. huru Junior Member

Japanese
    Hi,

I have seen English natives, especially British, write "My apologies for the delay" in their e-mails (as a first line.)
    I would like to know what nuance this sentence conveys.

I have heard that "I apologize for the delay" is more formal than "I am sorry for the delay."
    What is the difference between these two phrases and "My apologies for the delay"?
    To what kind of recipient do you use this phrase?

Thank you for your help!

2. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    That phrase implies : "Please accept..."

(Please accept) my apologies for the delay.
    If you include "please accept" then the phrase is fairly formal and appropriate for use in a note to a client. Without the "please accept" it is slightly less formal.

3. huru Junior Member

Japanese
    Hi elirlandes,

Thank you for the comment!

My guess was that "Please accept my apologies for" is formal as much as "I apologize for," and that "My apologies for" is more formal than "i am sorry for."

Actually I had thought that "My apologies for ..." was used by a writer because he/she wanted to give a more friendly impression to the recepient.
    (In this case, I suppose that the writer does not underestimate the recepient.)

If you received an e-mail beginnig with "My apologies" from your subordinates or clients, would you be offended??

Thanks in advance.

4. elirlandes

elirlandes Senior Member

Dublin & Málaga
    Ireland English
    In an email [which is necessarily less formal than a letter] I would find "My apologies for... " perfectly acceptable.

5. huru Junior Member

Japanese
    Hi elirlandes,

>In an email [which is necessarily less formal than a letter] I would find >"My apologies for... " perfectly acceptable.
    I have got it. I have never seen this phrase in letters, so your answer perfectly makes sense to me.

Much appreciated!!