1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

My Blood is yours, Brother

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Rekhyt, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Rekhyt New Member

Russian
    Hello, I'm looking for a bit of help with some phrasing.
    What I mean to say:
    1. My blood is yours, brother. (As in, my blood is yours to shed, my sacrifice is yours to call upon, by a brother who shares a blood oath.)
    2. My blood is my brother's. (In the same sense as the above.)

How would one translate these two?
    What I have form my very limited education in Latin is:

For 1: Sanguis meus eat sanguis fratris.
    For 2: Sanguis mei est tui.

(Also, how would you translate Bood Brother? Sanguine fratres?)

Are these correct? Are they the best way to phrase this?

Thanks for the help.

2. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    привет! salvete!

It is little wonder that Rekhyt's enquiry has languished without a reply, for the concept of blood-brotherhood (aside, that is, from consanguineous kinship) is alien to Roman/Latin thinking, as it is to ours: we think, probably mistakenly, of north American red Indian tribesmen and their codes of honour: this makes it hard to render the idea of a "Blood-brother" into Latin at all.

But to answer (as best in the circumstances) as one can:

"My blood is your blood, brother" will indeed be sanguis meus tuus (est) quoque, frater.

Or, more epigrammatically, sanguis meus et tuus.

I hope this helps a little, but perhaps others can also contribute.

Σ

3. XiaoRoel

XiaoRoel Senior Member

Vigo (Galiza)
    galego, español
    La forma epigramática de Scholiast es buena pero debe haber una coma detrás de meus para que et signifique 'y también': sanguis meus, et tuus.

4. Rekhyt New Member

Russian
    Oh dear, I honestly didn't know that Romans had nothing like that. How did they refer to a relationship between men that's as close as brothers if not closer but from different families? Did they have blood oaths or anything similar?

As for XiaoRoel, I apologize but I cannot read that. I ran it through Google Translate and I'm assuming it means something along the lines of fixing punctuation.

Thanks to the both of you nontheless.

5. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Христос воскрес!

Yes, the estimable Xiao recommends punctuating my second suggestion sanguis meus, et tuus, with a comma to indicate that et here means "[yours] as well", rather than just "and". et in Latin can serve both purposes.

And yes, on reflection, it is perhaps a little odd that Romans entertained no notion of Blood-brotherhood comparable with that found in e.g. Germanic mythology as well as that of Amerindian culture. Neither, so far as I know, did Greek - for certainly Achilles and Patroklos in Homer's Iliad would have been prime examples if such a cultural concept existed.

All good wishes,

Σ