My girl or my girlfriend

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Lovely73, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Lovely73

Lovely73 New Member

South of Italy
    Hi !
    I need to understand if the meaning is the same...

To say (talking about girlfriend) "...I come with my girl ..." the meaning is the same that "...I come with my girlfriend .." ?

This espression I have heard by an american boy ...I think ...because my doubt is that I have understood bad

sorry for my probable mistakes
    and thank you in advanced
  2. Rob625

Rob625 Senior Member

Murlo (SI)
    English - England
    It's nearly the same, I would say.

In Italian you could say "con la mia ragazza" or "con la mia fidanzata", to get roughly the same difference.
  3. eafkuor Senior Member

Italy, Italian
    senza la d è corretto ;)
  4. Azazel81 Senior Member

Italy - Italian
    Uhm... As far as I know "la mia ragazza" = "my girlfriend" and "la mia fidanzata" = "my fiancé".

Plus: "fidanzata" implies the fact of being engaged... therefore she probably wears a ring I gave her, and we're due to get married soon...

"ragazza" has none of the above mentioned implications. She's "just" my girlfriend.. it's something more than dating but a lot less than being engaged.
  5. Veledan Senior Member

Stoke, UK
    English - BE
    The meaning of "my girl" and "my girlfriend" in your context is the same, but you should say "my girlfriend". Using "my girl" is understandible in context, but it's not the normal way to say it. It's colloquial, and if you say it as a foreigner, the person listening to you will probably think you've made a mistake.
  6. london calling Senior Member

My girl is not normal for us Brits, but an American would say it (I've heard it many a time) to mean his girlfriend. Remember the old song by the Temptations?

Anyway, here's Google USA for you on the subject of my girl, lovely73. Divertiti!:)
  7. NewYorktoLA

NewYorktoLA Senior Member

New York
    English-the variety known as AE
    Hmmmm. I'd have to vote for "my girl" as a bit old-fashioned (in AE); I never hear it used in AE, unless someone is talking about their daughter or expressing (platonic) affection for a young girl as in "that's my girl!"
  8. london calling Senior Member

Of course you're quite right. :) The last time I heard it was from the brother of a friend of mine in his 50s (recently divorced) who said he'd like to introduce us to "his girl" (who he consequently married). And of course My Girl was a song from when? The 70s?
  9. Tristano Senior Member

English - USA
    Indeed... "my girl" meaning "my girlfriend" is completed outdated in AE. No one uses it today. I would say it dates back to the 50s and 60s. The song "My Girl" is from 1964...

10. tedgale Senior Member

I agree with Tristano. "My girl" is very old fashioned.
    In addition to "My Girl" (1964):
    "Me and My Girl" -- UK musical comedy, 1937;
    "For Me and My Gal" -- Hollywood musical film, 1942.
    "His Girl Friday" -- Hollywood comedy, 1940.
  11. Well, I'm in the States and my American boyfriend says:

I'm almost sure that the above mentioned are not used in BE. The Americans play a lot with their language! ;-)
  12. Antipodes

Antipodes Senior Member

Tasmania, Australia
    English - Australia
    Hello Lovely.:)
    The most important point to me is the use of I come, because I think it likely that you mean "I am coming with my girlfriend".

Some examples to make it clear:
    Do you come here often? Yes, I come with my girlfriend every Saturday.
    The present tense implies habitual action.

Are you coming tonight/tomorrow? Yes, I'm coming with my girlfriend.
    (= Will you come ....? Yes, I shall/will come ....)
    The present continuous tense refers to a near future action.:)