My honor/My pleasure

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silverobama, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Silverobama

Silverobama Senior Member

Chongqing
    Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi,

I'd like to know about the differences between these two phrases "My honor" and "My pleasure" in this context:

One of my friends established a chat-room and invited me to join him. When he asked me: Did you want to join me?

I said:

My pleasure.

Can I say "My honor" instead?

Thanks a lot

2. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    They mean different things, Silver.

'My pleasure' means that joining the chat-room will give you pleasure. 'My honour' means that you feed that will feel proud to be a member of this group.

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

In American English it would be more typical to read or hear "I would be honored" rather than "my honor".

4. aha123 Senior Member

Maui, Hawaii(here is heaven! :)
    Mixed Asian Languages
    Sorry to jump in to add another question. I never understood the difference of these two sentences:

It was my honor to work with you.
    It was my pleasure to work with you.

5. natkretep

Singapore
    It was my honor to work with you. = Working with you makes me feel proud.
    It was my pleasure to work with you. = ​Working with you makes me feel happy.

6. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi,

Do native speakers respond with "My honor" / "My pleasure" when someone said thank you if he holded a door for a lady?

Thanks!

7. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    I think My honour would be an unusual reply in BE.
    My pleasure I would consider to be a rather formal expression and I would not reply to a thank you after holding a door open for someone. I think only people of a certain age would use it.

8. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    "My pleasure" would be an entirely appropriate thing to say in that situation.

"My honor" would be... well...

A) I've never encountered anyone saying "My honor." We say "It would be an honor" or "I would be honored" or "It was an honor."

B) Unless holding the door open for the woman actually was an honor (maybe she's the Queen, maybe she's a Supreme Court Justice, maybe she's really, really famous), it would sound fake and pretentious.

9. natkretep

Singapore
    Yes, I would never say 'my honour' either. 'My pleasure' is formal, but it can be softened to just 'Pleasure' - which I do occasionally use. (My other options: (1) 'Not at all', (2) just a smile with no verbal response, (3) 'No problem' - which I know some people dislike.)

10. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    As an extension of natkretep at #2, I don't know whether it is still current, but in BE, "my honour" was used when there was a friendly question about who should pay for something that all had enjoyed:

A: "As you paid for the drinks, I'll pay for the meal."
    B: "No, no. My honour, I'll pay for both. You paid for the tickets." = "No, I feel it is right that I should pay for the meal as well..."

Although it creates another meaning, "pleasure" can be substituted for "honour".

11. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you very much for your help, everyone.