1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

My love / lover

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by David S, Feb 20, 2014.

1. David S Senior Member

Richmond, VA, USA
    English - US
    Hello,

Is there a word or phrase to refer to somebody who you love / loves you, like "my love" or "her lover"?

Is the direct translation common or is it unnatural? Obviously there are lots of synonyms in most languages.

2. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Literally, "beloved" is the most common. Masculine - ahuv -אהובfeminine - ahuva - אהובה
    My love is ahuvi אהובי and ahuvati אהובתי respectively.

There is another word me'ahev מאהב (femenine me'ahevet מאהבת) which means lover, but is less common when talking about one's own lover. Her lover - hame'ahev(et) shela - המאהב/ת שלה.

You can also simply say "my love" - ahava sheli - אהבה שלי.

3. Vishinka Senior Member

Italy
    Hebrew
    Hello David and Arielibre
    Airel is right, the words AHUVI (girl and who refers to her male lover) and AHUVATI (a boy who refers to his female lover)are correct, but they are not very common between young people, I mean you can use them but people would probably look at you strangely cause it sounds a bit poetic.
    If you give us a specific sentence it will be easier to find a better word for you
    The words MEAHEV/MEAHEVET nowadays are mostly used to refer to someone you have an affair with out of your marriage, so it's better not to use them just like that ( :

Hope it didn't confused you

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014