1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

my maid is armed with throwing knives

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Tanuki, May 28, 2013.

1. Tanuki Junior Member

Süddeutschland
    Deutschland, (Deutsch)
    I am planning to put this on a t-shirt:

This image...[ d-stage_2900162700016.jpg ]...followed by a "warning sign", together with this text:
    警告:俺のメイドは手裏剣を用います

The depicted character is 十六夜 咲夜 (some explanatory images) and the intended gag is "Warning: my maid carries throwing knives." The underlying meaning is supposed to be something like: "I am under the protection of my maid, who is armed and dangerous." Truth is, I'm not a total stranger to the Japanese language. But before I print this, I really want some native speaker to look at the text.

Is this the right form for a warning sign text?
    Is the meaning ok?
    Are the Kanji right?
    Should I use a different verb?
    How would you phrase this?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. animelover Senior Member

Eastern Germany
    Deutsch
    If you want it to sound and look impressive, just say

无慙无愧的狂悖暴戻:守護俺助担当冥途、手裡劍爪着完了。敵対勢力應戦、木端微塵一轍迄殲滅続行。反撥次第肝脳塗地。

(解説: 俺助 = [俺への]援助 ; 冥途 = メイド ; 爪着 = [爪に]装着)

Or if you want sth. shorter
    断崖絶壁之四面楚歌:吾が冥途、爪刃(ソウジン)装着せり。

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    I think it sounds good enough, but I may choose to say 「俺のメイドは手裏剣使い」 (end with a noun and remove the "。". ~使い means ~user.)

4. Arui Kashiwagi Senior Member

Just one thing - 手裏剣 shuriken is a ninja's signature weapon, not ordinary throwing knives that she wields in the pics. I'm sure she is not a ninja :)
    I recommend you stick with "投げナイフ", or more simply, "ナイフ". I personally prefer the simplest one.

Aside from that, your translation seems quite good to me. Some may prefer "使います" to "用います" because "使います" is slightly more common in a daily conversation, but some may not care at all. It's just a matter of taste and either will work fine.
    The form of the sentence also looks proper. As the structure "~ は ~ を 用います(使います)" is very basic, it can easily fall into a machine-translator-like expression if overused - But in this context it fits well as a warning sign text, yet still conveys some sense of humor thanks to "俺の".

To animelover:
    No offense, but I think you're making things unnecessarily complicated.