My name

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Annie2013, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Annie2013 New Member

Spanish
    Hello everybody! I´m such a great fan of languages. and an full -time English teacher.These days I'm getting into Arabic so much, and I decided to make a collage of my family writing all our names in this language, as well as in korean, japanese, chinese and Hindi, all these related to different writings from the roman alphabet. I thought that maybe you could help me with the correct way of translating the names. They are
    Me : annie
    My husband: Roy
    My little baby Shane
    Thanks a lot.

2. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    Hello, family.

Annie:
    آني

Roy:
    روي

Shane:
    شاين

3. paieye Senior Member

England
    English - British
    Barkooosh, I am not sure about that rendering of Annie. I think that أَنِِّ would be a good deal nearer the English pronunciation.

4. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    It would fit were it Anne, Paieye.

5. paieye Senior Member

England
    English - British
    No, with all due respect I think not. The 1st letter of the English word, whether it is Anne or Annie, is a short 'A,' followed by a double 'N.' It seems to me that your rendering of the word would be pronounced 'Ahnee,' which would to English-speakers sound foreign.

6. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    There is double N in the English spelling, but no geminated /nn/ in the English pronunciation. It would therefore be very wrong to transliterate it with shadda.

7. paieye Senior Member

England
    English - British
    I am not sure why you think that. The English pronunciation is Short A - double N -- short Y. Why would one not use a shadda ?

8. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I think that because I am a linguist and know the difference between spelling and pronunciation.

9. paieye Senior Member

England
    English - British
    Please enlighten me: what is the difference ?

10. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    How do you pronounce the word "enough"? Do you pronounce the g and the h?

11. paieye Senior Member

England
    English - British
    No, but that is not an Arabic word.

12. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    If you were writing it in Arabic would you spell it انووجه ?

13. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    There are no strict rules for transliterating names to Arabic. "Annie" is commonly rendered آني. This is how you'll find it on TV, in books, magazines, etc.

14. paieye Senior Member

England
    English - British
    I do understand that, Barkoosh, but the resulting sound does not resemble the sound of 'Annie' spoken by an English-speaker -- would it not be better to attempt an Arabic spelling producing a word nearer in sound to the English original ?

15. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic

Agree with you, barkoosh. Basically, ie is the origin of y: ie=y

16. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    It IS better but it's not the common way. Take for example the name Richard. It would be "better" to transliterate it as رِتْشرْد but it's commonly rendered ريتشارد.

17. paieye Senior Member

England
    English - British
    In that case, I admit defeat !

18. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Please don't give up so easily. Here is one possible alternative.

أيني

19. Abu Talha Senior Member

Urdu
    Personally, I think that long vowels are used in Arabic transliteration to avoid relying on rarely used diacritics. Otherwise رتشرد could conceivably be mispronounced rutashird.

In the case of Annie, I'm not a native English speaker but it seems to me that the first "a" is long. Ann and آن have the same pronunciation (if آ is pronounced "classical standard" /aː/)

20. Annie2013 New Member

Spanish
    Thank you all for your replies, just one more question, are the translations in the first post right? I haven't started my project yet. But as I can see, they're good, aren't they?

21. Annie2013 New Member

Spanish
    thank you so much barkoosh! My family and I really appreciate your help!

22. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Annie is actually pronounced - in the UK - exactly like its Arabic rendition
    آني
    (2a:ni:)
    And there certainly isn't gemination. I would like our colleague to record how he perceives the sound to be pronounced.