1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

My pleasure / It's my pleasure

Discussion in 'English Only' started by namlan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. namlan Senior Member

Vietnam
    - Helping such a famous and important person like you is my pleasure.

- Instead of this, can I say "It's my pleasure to help such a famous and important person like you."?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

2. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Your second version sounds very much more natural than the first. I would have to say though, that the sentence is excessively deferential - in fact it is obsequious.

"It's my pleasure" (on its own) is often used to respond to someone who has thanked you for some service or favour you have provided, particularly to someone such as a client or customer. It's also often said by guests on TV or radio shows after being thanked by the host:
    Host: "Thank you for coming on the show tonight, Namlan!"
    Namlan: "It's my pleasure."

It's also used in public announcements, for example in introducing a speaker: "It's my pleasure to introduce to you...".

3. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I agree with Matching Mole that this is too deferential to be used in most situations. It sounds like a line in "The King and I" where the servants kneel before the King.

"I am glad to be of help," sounds much more conversational.

4. NorthernLimitation Junior Member

Inverness, Scotland
    English - Scotland
    Even "Glad I could help" is fine.

Also, from your example:
    It's my pleasure to help such a famous and important person AS you.
    It's my pleasure to help SUCH a famous and important person like you.

5. boi New Member

Brazil
    Portuguese
    Could I use "it's my pleasure" to respond to "nice to meet you" when i'm introduced to someone?

Thanks

6. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think that would sound unnatural. I would expect a response that parallels the one given: 'Nice to meet you too'. I might even say 'Likewise'.

7. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I agree with Natkretep.

It's my pleasure and What is your pleasure? are expressions best left on the lips of the obsequious. This is well illustrated by the famous Geordie (of Sunderland or Newcastle-upon-Tyne) story of the Geordie who went into a shop to buy a hat. The shop-assistant came up to him and said, 'Good Morning, Sir, and what is your pleasure?' The Geordie replied, 'My pleasures are fuckin' and pidgins, but right now, I want a flat 'at'.

Avoid the expression.

The expression 'It's a great pleasure for me to...' is, on the other hand, entirely acceptable and gracious.

8. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum! :)

In answer to your question: Absolutely--with one tiny change: Drop the "it's". My pleasure! is a perfectly fine response to "nice to meet you".

9. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    The risk is to be thought to be sarcastic. I've been accused (rightfully) of sarcasm frequently.

I recall having run into someone that I really did not like. He said, "It's good to see you again Packard."

I responded with, "Likewise, I'm certain." It loses something in the writing but the addition of "I'm certain" implies just the opposite (when spoken by Packard, at any rate).

I think that "my pleasure" runs the same risk (in the USA, perhaps not in other countries).

10. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    When you formalise something like this, or enshrine it in writing, it takes on airs that are not necessarily there in the moment of responding.

So, if I said to someone "It's nice to meet you," and they responded "It's my pleasure," I would find nothing strange or obsequious about it ... unless it was clear from their previous behaviour or their manner of speaking that their words were not person-person and sincere.

Context is everything, or if not everything, a very great deal, when it comes to these social niceties.

11. mysina Senior Member

Hello. Does ´My pleasure´ make sense in this dialogue? I know it is used as a reply to someone who has thanked me and it just sounds strange to me in this dialogue where it should probably mean the same as ´Nice to meet you.´ I´m not sure about ´Same here´ either.

A: What´s your name?
    B: Jack Jones. And yours?
    A: I´m Anita Black. My pleasure.
    B: Same here.

12. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    The phrase is being used here to mean "it is my pleasure to meet you." Was there any greeting before "what's your name?"

13. ayachka New Member

Germany
    Französich
    Hello.
    Well, I think the appropriate phrase to use in this context is. Pleased to know you , nice to meet you ...ect
    " my pleasure" or " it is my pleasure " is a term used in the following situation. someone thanks you for a favour you did to him/her , and as an answer you say: not at all, or it is my pleasure.

14. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    It's very informal, but it would be understood just as you've understood it. I wouldn't use it, personally, but I think it's acceptable.

15. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Moderator note

I have merged a newer thread (beginning post #11) as the same usage is discussed in an older thread.

16. Capt. Haddock New Member

India - Marathi
    Hello all,

Is it acceptable to say/write "It's my pleasure!" in response to a "Thank you!", when the thanks are in response to a compliment rather than a favor/help/etc.?

For instance,

H: Excellent performance!
    A: Thank you!
    H: It's my pleasure!

In this situation would the expression be open to (mis)interpretation?

Regards.

17. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    No, I'm afraid it wouldn't make sense.

18. Lecword Senior Member

Spanish
    Could I use "It's my pleasure" or "It's a pleasure" in this context?

-I'd like to introduce you to my father.
    -It's my/a pleasure,sir.

Thank you for your help.

19. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I wouldn't.

Where I come from we say It's a pleasure when someone thanks us for something, particularly something for which you feel thanks aren't necessary.

Don't say It's my pleasure. That sounds too self-important to be sufferable.

20. Lecword Senior Member

Spanish

Would "It's a pleasure to meet you" be a better answer?

Thank you!

21. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    That would be fine, as long as you knew of the person before.

22. Lecword Senior Member

Spanish
    So, if it is the first time I meet someone, would "It's a pleasure to meet you" be wrong?

Thanks again for your replies

23. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    Notice I said 'knew of' the person.

I'd think it pretentious if you'd never previously heard of the person.

Why should it be a particular pleasure to meet them rather than anyone else?