my sweetheart

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by espmartin, Jul 18, 2008.

1. espmartin New Member

English - American
    I'm getting a new German Shepherd Dog pup in one week (I have an adult GSD male
    too), and want to give it a German name. Someone I work with came up with "Schatzie"
    and told me it meant, "my sweetheart".

But Google translates Schatz as "Treasure" - so what is the proper way to say, "my sweetheart", or "my sweety"?

2. Brolik Junior Member

Mittelfranken, DE
    English, German
    Your co-worker is correct. The word does mean treasure literally but is used all the time, more commonly one hears "mein Schatz", as a word of endearment similar to my sweetheart, dear, etc.

Schatzie means the same thing as Schatz, but for me it actually implies a little more emphasis on the endearment of the person you're talking to and is better if it is going to be used as a pets name.

3. espmartin New Member

English - American
    Thanks Brolik,

Now (hum...) my wife wants me to call her a "pet name" of endearment. So what's a good German word to use for her?

Can (sorry if this makes you work some :eek: ) you make s short list of terms used to call a wife/sweetheart:

Schatzie = "my treasure"
    X = ?
    X = ?
    X = ?

4. Kuestenwache Senior Member

German-Germany
    First of all some cute little animals in the minimization form.
    Hasi - Bunny
    Mausi - Mouse
    Spatz/Spätzchen - Sparrow

Then things like
    Liebling - Darling
    Schatz/Schätzchen - Treasure/Precious

and also possible
    Baby

5. neapolitan New Member

English - USA
    How about Puppchen? (as in Puppchen, Du Bist Mein Augenstern)

6. tampachemist Junior Member

English
    Whenever I hear "Schatz" I am immediately reminded of all the "Wortschatz" from college German classes. Word treasures. :)

7. Blümchen New Member

NRW, Germany
    German
    Püppchen comes from Puppe means a little doll. It's also used, but that only works with female.
    "Schatz" would be the most common in German, but "Schatzi", I don't know I don't like that.

8. PMCB Junior Member

English, U.S.
    Although it’s non-standard, I know someone who calls the female in his life “Zuckerbär” (Sugar Bear), which I personally find sweet (no pun intended J).

9. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    I understand this but I know it only from this song.

10. deebeee New Member

English-American
    I thought Schatzie was used often as a form of endearment. It isn't used to say Mein Schatzie -- my darling? Can one say mein liebling shatzie. Or am I totally off course? Schatz sounds so short. So I guess it could be mein liebling schatz or mein schatz liebling or ......

11. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    You could say "mein geliebter Schatz" which however would sound a little bit over the top; anyway - "mein Liebling Schatz" does not work.

You can say "mein Liebling" or "Schatzi", but you can't combine both like you suggetsed.

12. deebeee New Member

English-American
    I understand -- Danke --

13. Aloski Senior Member

London
    German / Bavaria
    Now I fell a bit lost.

Will both, the wife and the (big dog) pet be called "Schatzi" and how will they tell who is being meant? And who's got the bigger or sharper bite? :D
    I wouldn't call an animal "Schatz" or "Schatzi". I consider it reserved for the person of the opposite gender you like most.
    Well, of course, you can call your dog "Paris" or "Brooklin",
    because it was there were you bought him or her. :D

14. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Well, espmartin is English so I guess the name "Schatzi" only would be reserved for the pup, right?

I agree with you, Aloski, that I wouldn't call a dog "Schatzi", and it could even lead to misunderstandings - in a German speaking environment. But in America I see no problem. (Some advice though, espmartin: "Schatzi" would work rather as a name for a female, it would sound odd for a male. And even for a female this isn't a typical dog name. :))

15. animula Senior Member

Vienna
    Basque Country,Spanish, Spain
    My boyfriend calls me Schnuckl ( or Schnucki ;) ), Mausi ( or Mäuschen is also very sweet), or Zuckerschneke :D

16. Aloski Senior Member

London
    German / Bavaria
    Schnuckl, Schnucki, Mausi - kommt das vorwiegend im Sueden und Oesterreich vor?

17. animula Senior Member

Vienna
    Basque Country,Spanish, Spain
    Vielleicht, ja... mein Freund kommt aus Linz...

18. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Ist nicht auf Oberösterreich begrenzt - man kann diese Kosenamen wohl in (fast) ganz Österreich häufig hören. :)

Und ja, sie entsprechen alle auch "my sweetheart".

19. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    Watch out the animals getting bigger and bigger as the years pass by. :D

Schnucki, Mausi are in (central) Germany very common as well.

20. deebeee New Member

English-American
    My mother used to call us Schnooksie or Schnooks -- never saw it written so not sure re spelling. Schnucki got Americanized in the 40's I guess. There was a radio show called Baby Schnooks (or Snooks).

Danke