Myths and legends of Spanish-Speaking countries

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by iheartflutes, Mar 19, 2005.

1. iheartflutes

iheartflutes Junior Member

United States English
    Hi,

Sorry to be using this forum so much for my school assignments, but I was just wondering. Are there any good myths or legends that come from spanish speaking countries? I have spent some time searching for them, but I can't seem to find anything good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    iheartflutes

P.S. Know of any interesting people associated with the history of any spanish-speaking country??? I'm just looking to expand my horizons and find something out that I didn't know before. Thanks again.

2. Edher

Edher Senior Member

USA
    Cd. de México, Spanish & English
    Saludos flutelover,

I believe it is safe to say that the most famous legend in Mexico is that of "La llorona. (The weeping woman)

Long story short, a woman drowned her children because she was furious with their father (who loved their kids dearly.) Then she realized the gravity of her mistake and she suicide. However, she still roams the nights weeping "Hay mis hijos" (Alas, my children)

http://literacynet.org/lp/hperspectives/llorona.html

Edher

3. pinkpanter

pinkpanter Senior Member

4. Asmodeo

Asmodeo Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    There are so many myths related to Spain. Just to begin with, here you have a big one: ATLANTIS.

Atlantis "Evidence" Found in Spain and Ireland

Stefan Lovgren
    for National Geographic News

August 19, 2004
    An empire filled with riches, it was an awe-inspiring civilization west of the Strait of Gibraltar's Pillars of Hercules cliffs—until it was defeated by ancient Athens and consumed by a cataclysmic natural disaster.

read the entire article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/08/0819_040819_atlantis.html

5. Narda Senior Member

Weston, Florida
    Guatemala
    Buenos días Flutelover:

La Universidad de Querétaro en México tenía hace un tiempo un sitio virtual de leyendas y todas eran muy lindas.

Aquí te adjunto un sitio para leyendas ecuatorianas:
    http://www.edufuturo.com/educacion.php

Buena suerte!

6. araceli moderadora

Buenos Aires
    Argentine, Spanish
  7. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
  8. sperdomo Senior Member

USA, English
    Try Eduardo Galeano's book, Genesis. It is the first book in his Memory of Fire Trilogy. There are many short myths from all over Latin America as well as lots of other great little stories.

9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Greetings Asmodeo...I had to edit your post...quoting an entire article may raise serious copyright issues for these forums. It is fine to post a brief quotation, and a link to the article. Page length quotations are a problem.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Cuchuflete

10. Asmodeo

Asmodeo Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Iheartflutes,
    If you like Greek mythology, maybe you'd like to know about Hercules* (or Heracles, the most famous Greek legendary hero) "spanish" adventures:
    -The fighting with Geryon
    -The bringing back of the golden apples of the Hesperides
    -The fetching up of the triple-headed dog Cerberus, guardian of the lower world.

Notice that to the Greeks the iberian peninsula was the world's end. The western extreme of their known world. So they created many myths placed there.
    By the way, Atlantis is often linked to the lost city of Tartessus, an ancient civilization located somewhere (not yet known) in southwestern Spain.

*See Robert Graves writings on classic mythology. It´s entertaining and easy to read.

11. Asmodeo

Asmodeo Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Sorry. The problem is that when I try to submit a reply with a link, this message appears:
    "Your Post contains one or more URLs, please remove them before submitting your message again.
    Please also understand that no promotion of websites, products or services is permitted in these forums.
    (If you repeatedly receive this error, delete your entire message and start again to completely remove the URL.)".

12. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Asmodeo.
    The "problem" you are encountering is our forum's 'protection' against spambots (automated spamming machines).
    New forum users (those with "junior member" status under their names) will be able to post links after reaching Member status. Don't worry... you will get there soon enough. :)

Saludos,
    LN

13. Asmodeo

Asmodeo Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    :tick:Imagine Charlton Heston brandishing a castilian sword instead of a rifle. He really did it. In a movie called The Cid, about one of our most famous local heroes. El Cid was an important medieval knight and military leader.

:tick:Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca. He explored during eight years southern North America (present-day Florida, Texas, New Mexico...) in the 16th century. His adventures are fascinating.

:tick:Juan Ponce de León. He discovered Florida while searching for the mythical Fountain of Youth, in the 16th century.

:tick:Bernardo de Gálvez. A spanish general who fought the british in your Independence war.

14. sjgasca New Member

Spain, Spanish
    For me one of the best hidden treasures in Spain is the way of Saint James, a journey of mysticism and religious background, with Templars involved on it and a lot of uncertain stories about his history.