1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

náutica/ pier or dock, harbor or port?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by transparente, Aug 5, 2006.

1. transparente Senior Member

at home
    Spanish/Argentina
    Nunca estoy segura de qué termino usar. Debe haber diferencias que desconozco.
    Alguien me puede ayudar con ejemplos?

muelle de madera: wooden pier (pero dock es muelle, también)
    puerto de la ciudad: city harbor or city port?
    Puerto de Bs As: Port of Bs As?

Gracias.

2. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    A pier is a muelle you can walk on, fish from, stand around and view the sights, whereas a dock has the function of being the place where boats dock

I don´t believe a port and a harbor are the same either. Let me tantear a little bit ... a harbor is an area that´s well suited for a seagoing boat to come to land (or better put, to dock). Its water is sufficiently deep for a boat not to run aground. A port, on the other hand, is a collection of facilities that serve seagoing boats on the one hand, and people who have business with seagoing boats, to conduct their transactions.

the same nautical dictionary has no listing for "pier", but for dock, has:

Dock - the area a boat rests in when attached to a pier, also the act of taking the boat to the pier to secure it

No definition for "port" save the "left side of the boat", and nothing for harbor.

3. transparente Senior Member

at home
    Spanish/Argentina
    Bárbaro como siempre, Txiri!

Hoy más lúcida, encontré esto en Wikipedia:

A harbour or harbor (see spelling differences), or haven, is a place where ships may shelter from the weather or are stored. Harbours can be man-made or natural. A man-made harbour will have sea walls or breakwaters and may require dredging. A natural harbor is surrounded on most sides by land.
    Harbours and ports are often confused. A port is a man-made coastal or riverine facility where boats and ships can load and unload. It may consist of quays, wharfs, jetties, piers and slipways with cranes or ramps. A port may have magazine buildings or warehouses for storage of goods and a transport system, such as railway, road transport or pipeline transport facilities for relaying goods inland.

4. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Ah ... gracias. Te comentaré que "haven" es la idea metafórica de "harbor", pero que no es sinónimo. En alemán "Flughafen" es una palabra compuesta de "flight" (creo) y "haven" y traduce "airport", mientras que "haven" y "heaven" son dobletes, lo cual encuentro un detalle curioso.

De todas maneras, por ser aficionada a la vela, me gusta mucho topar con las palabras relacionadas con el mar y los barcos

PS Puede ser un pequeño error poner el plural de "wharf" como "wharfs" y no "wharves", lo tendría que buscar en un diccionario ....

5. mullet57

mullet57 Senior Member

South East Florida
    US English
    Nautical terms can be confusing .

Port , Harbour , may or may not be synonyms . Same as Dock , Pier ,Wharf ,

I agree with Txiri and Transparente definitions.

After 40 years at sea these are my definitions and some old salts may disagree.

A Port is Harbour with a city or facilities to unload cargo along its shore. A Port that is not in a Harbour is in an “open roadstead”,exposed on 3 sides to wind and waves. A Harbour is location along a shore that is protected from waves , wind and current. A Harbour may or may not be inhabited.

A Pier extends from shore into the water . A Wharf runs parallel to the shore. Both are docks. A Dock can be very small and only extend a few feet. A pier is longer . Please don’t ask me when a Dock becomes a Pier. Piers and wharfs are associated with commercial or navel operations i.e. fishing , amusement , Cargo Ships , Cruise Ships and War Ships.

The port side and starboard side , left and right side of a boat looking forward.

I hope I have not confused anyone.

A good Harbour or Port is deep and very protected. A bad Harbour can be dangerous in a storm, or shallow .

Any Port in a storm = any place is better than where we are now. How would one say this in Spanish?

6. transparente Senior Member

at home
    Spanish/Argentina
    Hi Mullet! Your definitions help make it much clearer.Thank you!
    Your question:

"Any Port in a storm = any place is better than where we are now. How would one say this in Spanish?"

I cannot think of a good reply for the first part.
    As for the concept: cualquier lugar sería mejor que éste.

Saludos.

7. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Hey, mullet, matey! Glad to see you 'round here, very much appreciate the thoughts of an old salt ... English is very rich with its many expressions taken from nautical vocabulary, "three sheets to the wind", "lower the boom on someone" ... maybe we could start a little nautical loop somewhere on the forum, I for one, would love to go sailing among Spanish-speaking types, and if it took some effort to learn the lingo in English, I´d bet there´s similar lingo in Spanish. "Cirrus" in England is another aficionado ...

8. loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Qué tal:

En tiempos de guerra cualquier hoyo es trinchera

Saludos.

PD.
    Acabo de encontrar:

Any port in a storm.

Cuando hay hambre, no hay mal pan / pan duro.
    o En el amor y la guerra, todo hueco es trinchera.
    o En tiempos de guerra, cualquier hoyo es trinchera.

en esta página.

9. Julie_UM

Julie_UM Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina, Spanish
    What about "dock" and "terminal"??
    Is this correct?

Harbour: an area of water (artificial or natural) next to the land where the water is calm, so that ships are safe when they are inside it
    Port: a place where ships can load and unload people or things (man-made) / also the town. Eg: come into/leave port – be in port
    Dock: a place in a port where ships are loaded and unloaded. Eg: People were waiting at the dock. The ship was in dock for repairs.
    Terminal: a big building where people wait to get onto planes, buses or ships; or where goods are loaded on.
    Quay /ki:/ or /kei/ (AmE): a place where boats can be tied up or start to load and unload.
    Wharf:
    Pier:

Which would be the translation into Spanish of each??
    What's the difference in meaning??
    Thanks in advance!!
    Julie =)

10. ppmm Senior Member

Spanish-España mix y frontera USA
    Pier yo creo que es más bien lo que llamamos un pantalán.
    Dock es Muelle
    Y harbor and Port sería Puerto.