1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

-näköinen

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Gavril, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi,

How would you translate the phrases with "-näköinen" below?

My understanding is that -näköinen corresponds closely to English -looking (as in young-looking, strange-looking), but that translation doesn't quite seem to fit the above phrases (especially the second).

Kiitos avusta

2. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

"I think there was all manner of tripping and hooking going on. Tempers sometimes flare in ice hockey. It all probably arose from some previous incidents of the same kind. That's all there was to it, really."

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    So, jonkin näköinen historia = "some kind of history"?

I would have expected jonkinlainen / jonkintapainen historia or similar here -- do these mean something distinct from jonkin näköinen historia?

4. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

Dictionaries are no use in deciphering colloquial Finnish. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question. Historia in this case simply means that something that had happened in the past had a bearing on what happened now.

5. Jyrkkä Jätkä

Jyrkkä Jätkä Junior Member

Finland
    Finnish
    kaiken näköistä kampitusta ja koukkimista = all sort of tripping and hooking

jonkin näköistä historiaa, kampittelua = some sort of verbal contact and tripping

6. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Thanks -- just out of curiosity, would you say that in spoken Finnish, -näköinen tends to be used somewhat like -lainen, -tyyppinen, etc.?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  7. Jyrkkä Jätkä

Jyrkkä Jätkä Junior Member

Finland
    Finnish
    You have interpreted the use of -näköinen quite right.
    Kaikennäköinen and jonkinnäköinen are common in both spoken and written Finnish.