1. Romon_myriad New Member

In case someone is looking for the equivalent to Nèfles in English, it is Medlar. Néflier (which translates to Medlar tree) is in the dictionnary but not its fruit, nèfles. I suppose one could say that in French the fruit is mentioned far more often than the tree, such as in the expression "des nèfles", or simply "confiture de nèfles", so it might be perceived as an omission.

Cheers to all,
  2. floise Senior Member

Thank you, Romon myriad, and welcom to the forum!

Interesting fruit which I have never heard about. Hope some day to have some 'confiture de nèfles' on my english muffin!

3. Romon_myriad New Member

I hope this contribution will be useful to someone one day. I will not add a recipe for "confiture de nèfles" but we are having an exceptionnal crop of medlars in the Forest of Fontainebleau after the frosts. Interesting article in Wikipedia about the fruit.

Thank you for your welcome.
  4. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

A medlar is one type of fruit called nèfle. It grows in colder regions and its fruit is dark-colored and ripens only after it is picked.

In AE we call nèfles "loquats" (càd les nèfles dites " japonaises "; elles sont jaunes et ne poussent qu'en régions très tempérées). Its fruit ripens on the tree. But they only really exist in a few regions in North America.
    Un néflier (japonais) is a loquat tree.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  5. Grop

Grop Senior Member

Ici, sur le littoral Sud-Est de la France, ce sont ces nèfles-là que je connais :).
  6. Narvut Member

I have got a very prolific medlar tree in my garden near Le Mans. The fruits are brown and we use to eat them when they are nearly overblown.
  7. peggytolleson New Member

american english
    I am surprised to read that nefles are picked after the first frost!

I live near Montpellier in France and pick mine in June and make the MOST delicious jam.

When my daughter lived in Morocco, her nefles were ripe end of April.
  8. JiPiJou Senior Member

La nèfle a la particularité de ne pas être consommable à maturité, car elle est trop dure et trop acerbe. Elle ne peut être consommée qu'après blettissement. La récolte a lieu à complète maturité, en général après les premières gelées, et le blettissement consiste à disposer les fruits sur un lit de paille pendant une quinzaine de jours. Il se produit alors une fermentation naturelle qui en modifie la composition chimique et les ramollit. Le fruit blet est sucré. Il a un goût un peu vineux.

La nèfle est un fruit d'hiver. Il paraît préférable de la consommer cuite. Elle peut aussi servir à faire des confitures, des compotes ou du ratafia.

À ne pas confondre avec la nèfle du Japon ou bibace (écrit aussi « bibasse »), fruit du néflier du Japon, qui est un fruit de couleur jaune, très juteux et savoureux, à goût acidulé, qui se récolte, en avril-mai, uniquement dans la zone de culture de l'oranger.
  9. peggytolleson New Member

american english
    I now understand that there are two types of nefles, but am not sure which one is a medlar in English.
  10. JiPiJou Senior Member

medlar = nèfle
    Japanese medlar = nèfle du Japon

Medlar fruit are very hard and acidic. They become edible after being softened ("bletted") by frost, or naturally in storage given sufficient time. Once softening begins, the skin rapidly ta-kes a wrinkled texture and turns dark brown, and the inside reduces to a consistency and fla-vour reminiscent of apple sauce. They can then be eaten raw, often consumed with cheese as a dessert, although they are also used to make medlar jelly and wine. Another dish is "medlar cheese", which is similar to lemon curd, being made with the fruit pulp, eggs, and butter.

The genus Eriobotrya (loquats) was once considered to be closely related to Mespilus, and is still sometimes called the "Japanese Medlar".
  11. Embonpoint Senior Member

A propos, dans le livre Vipère au Poing, quand Jean pense que la petite Madeline est prète à subir a ses avances, il dit a son frère, Frédie:

Mon vieux, la nèfle est mûre.
    --Non, plaisante Frédie; géneralement, on dit la poire. Les nèfles, on les mange quand elles sont pourries.
    --Je sais ce que je dis.
  12. guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

English - Southern England Home Counties
    Shakespeare used this word medlar as a pun on to meddle with in As You Like It where Rosalind says to a troublemaker : " You'll be rotten before you be half-ripe and that is the right virtue of a MEDLAR (meddler)."
  13. Luder Senior Member

USA English
    I grew up in Louisiana and what on the Mediterranean coast of France is referred to as nèfles we called Japanese plums.

Medlars, also called nèfles, so it seems, are similar to persimmons, I think, as in "'simmon seed and sandy bottom..."
  14. OnTheFly New Member

USA English
    Kind of like a loquat.
    But why isn't the word added to the WordReference Dictionary?