nachschenken

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by AnnaJDT, Apr 7, 2013.

1. AnnaJDT

AnnaJDT Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Hello there! I don't find this word in the WR dictionary: "nachschenken".

The full phrase is: Darf ich Ihnen noch etwas Wein nachschenken?

Could you please help me understand the meaning? Thank you very much in advance!

2. Resa Reader Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  3. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello :)

It is included in "our" WordReference dictionary:

4. AnnaJDT

AnnaJDT Senior Member

Bucharest
    Romanian
    Oh, thank you so much Sowka and my apologies. It didn't show amongst the list of suggestions when I typed the verb and I thought it wasn't added at all. By the way, how does the list of suggestions work? Shouldn't it show all entries? - The suggestions I get are: "nach-schenken" and "nach (space) schenken" and neither proves useful - has a definition associated. But if I press Enter nonetheless I am directed to the definition you pointed out.

5. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Hi Anna :)

I looked it up in the dictionary and forum search, at the top of the forum page, with the setting "German-English". There, it can be retrieved without problems. But you are right: When you try to find it in the dictionary, "nachschenken" is not offered immediately. But the entry does appear when you just click "Enter".

I'd suggest always doing this because you will get all the results "in the neighborhood" of the term you were looking for (they are displayed on the left-hand side of the screen), as well as any related words (shown below the (potential) dictionary entry in the center of the screen) and the existing forum discussions about the word, and these will often help you.

6. azizz New Member

Berlin
    German
    Hi,

nachschenken its refill​.