Nahuatl: The prefix Tla-

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Phileo, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Phileo New Member

There's so many dictionaries on the language, but a lot of the vocabulary is different. I was just wondering if anyone has any sort of knowledge or expertise on this language to help me out in understanding it. Or maybe you've studied it for a long time and you've made observations. What I'm really trying to figure out is whether or not all the vocabulary is made up of prefixes.

For example: The word, "Tlazotla", means "to love".

But what I was made to understand, was that the prefix, "Tla-" means "something; an inanimate object". Furthermore, there is another prefix that I often see combined with said verb, "Te-" meaning "someone; an actual person", thus making the verb "Tetlazotla". Which, as I've said, varies from dictionary to dictionary. Some will say, "Tetlazotla", and others will say, "Tlazotla". But to my opinion, I would just say that the root word is "Zotla", where someone could either add "Te-" or "Tla-" to the beginning depending on their need-for-usage.

Anyways, I'm probably wasting my time, there's probably no one on here familiar with the language. I'm hoping though...
  2. lingüia

lingüia Junior Member

Mexican Spanish
    As far as I know te- and tla- cannot co-occur in the same construction because both are indefinite object pronouns. Also, tlazotla is the verb, e.g.: nimitz-tlazotla, "I love you"; tinech-tlazotla, "You love me",
    tlazotla-lo, "to be loved".