Name for Classical Music Trio

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Zachmom, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Zachmom New Member

Phoenix, AZ
    United States, English
    I am a member of a classical music trio that needs a name. While we did not want to be terribly pretentious, i.e. the Paraside Valley Mozart Classical String Trio, we wanted something a bit different and not so mundane. I'm not sure if there is a place to go that can show me phrases in french pertaining to music - any suggestions? We like the idea of naming ourselves something in french because it does take the mundane of the english language and give it a bit of a flair. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Bonjour Zachmom,
    Bienvenue sur le forum !

Are you specilised in a specific period or kind of music?

3. Zachmom New Member

Phoenix, AZ
    United States, English
    Agnes,

No we are not - that's the thing. We are playing a concert in February of Beethoven, Bach, Mozart and a truly avant-garde piece written by an American composer in 2000 based on a slave hymn in South Carolina! We enjoy the diversity of the music and do not want to pigeon-hole ourselves by our name...

4. scandalously in love

scandalously in love Senior Member

Canada - English
    personally, I like the name "Allegro" for a group... and has no genre label applied to it... but that's French words aside! ;)

edit; In the dictionary, the french spell it with an accent! So you could french-ify it! hehehe... Allégro

5. Mycall Senior Member

Northern France
    France French

How about "Classique-all" to reconcile both your wide range and your nationality? Alternatively ABBA (Albinoni-Beethoven-Bach-Adagio) would grant you overnight stardom...:)

6. Zachmom New Member

Phoenix, AZ
    United States, English
    Thank you very much for your suggestions! I have a rehearsal tonight with an orchestra of which my trio-mates are members. I'll bring along the suggestions!

Again, thanks - and I'm going to keep coming back to this forum as I've surprised myself with just how much (or how little!) French I can actually read understand!

Zachmom:D

7. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Would you accept further suggestions? :)

Musique à trois
    Trois pour la musique

8. Zachmom New Member

Phoenix, AZ
    United States, English
    Absolutely! We've not decided on anything so we've got another probably 2-3 weeks before we need to have something in place. I would really appreciate further input!

9. Mycall Senior Member

Northern France
    France French
    Should you switch on to "rapping sounds" one day, then "Adage-Yôh" would go down quite nicely so it would.:cool: