Name of Roman alphabet in non-Roman-alphabet languages

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by gjuhetar, Sep 23, 2011.

1. gjuhetar Senior Member

Hindi
    The speakers of most non-Roman-alphabet Asian languages such as Indian languages, Chinese, Japanese and Korean pronounce Roman alphabet letters as they are in English, that is, a is [ei], i is [ai], etc. because of English colonialism in India and the predominance of the English language in East Asia.
    I am not sure of Lao and Khmer because of their history of French colonialism.

But when it comes to Greek, Cyrillic-alphabet languages (Russian, Bulgarian, etc.), Arabic, Persian, etc. I may suppose that the speakers of these languages also consider Roman alphabet letters as English ones owing to its lingua franca status in the world.
    However, it is also possible that even if they pronounce Roman alphabet letters like English, it was surely not the case in the past, because those languages were in contact with Latin, French and Italian much earlier than English.

Any information will be appreciated.

2. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

I don't think that's the case, but who knows. It certainly isn't the case here.

For Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (Serbian is fully Cyrillic/Latin biscriptal, Bosnian is too officially), the Latin alphabet is called abeceda (-c- is pronounced like -ts- in English, the vowels as in Spanish), from the names of letters a, be, ce, de. It is also called latinica, with obvious etymology. The names of letters are not pronounced as in English. One thing that needs to be noted is that in our version of the Latin alphabet there are two letters that precede d (a-b-c-č-ć-d), so the name abeceda is probably based on the Latin Latin alphabet, not our version of it

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    In Bulgarian it's латинска азбука or латиница - it clearly states its Latin origin, and the letter names are not as in English: traditionally а, бе, це, де ... - mostly based on Latin with some French and German influences: Bulgarian has been in contact with these languages since 19th century while English was virtually unknown before 20th century and became popular only in the 1990s.

4. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

It may be important to note for those who don't read Cyrillic - азбука (azbuka) is both originally and still the Slavic name for the Cyrillic alphabet, but in Bulgarian it seems to have expanded to mean any alphabet.

5. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek, the Latin alphabet is the «Λατινικό αλφάβητο» /latini'ko al'favito/.
    Any other alphabet based on it, is called «Λατινογενές αλφάβητο» /latinoje'nes al'favito/ (lit. Latinogenic alphabet).
    The Greek students who study Latin, will pronounse the letters of the alphabet as:
    A /a/, B /be/, C /ce/, D /de/, E /e/, F /ef/, G/ge/, H /ha/, I /i/, K /ka/, L /el/, M /em/, N /en/, O /o/, P /pe/, Q /ku/, R /er/, S /es/, T /te/, V /u/, Y /i 'greka/, X /eks/, Z /zeta/

However, 9 out of 10 times we'll see the letter D on a sign, we'll read it according to the French pronunciation: /de/
    Although English is indeed the world's lingua franca nowadays, we use the French pronunciation for isolated letters or acronyms in the Latin alphabet (we do that for the names of the vitamins too: /a/, /be/, /se/, /de/ etc)

6. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    :tick:
    Denis, I'll explain in detail by a PM (in Serbian).

7. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    In Turkish letters are very short single sounds and they are always pronounced the same when used in words. The alphabet is:

a, be, ce, çe, de, e, fe, ge, yumuşak (soft) ge, he, ı, i, je, ke, le, me, ne, o, ö, pe, re, se, şe, te, u, ü, ve, ye, ze.

examples:

a is always pronounced as A inside cAr and does not change its sound sometimes like in English (for example as in : AIM in which case A becomes the "Turkish E" and I becomes the "Turkish Y")
    c is always pronounced as the English G letter.
    ç is pronounced as CH
    e never becomes the "Turkish İ" as in English "sEE" in which case two E letters become a single "Turkish İ".
    g is always the G as in English "Go".
    ı usually can not be pronounced by the English.
    i is always pronounced like it is in "sEE". It does not become "AY" as in "I am".
    R is a strong letter unlike the English R (actually the English R is a cross between Turkish Ş,Ğ,R

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  8. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    How do you pronounce "c" in "ce"?

9. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    As far as I know, in Turkish c is pronounced like English j in jar.

10. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    ce is pronounced kʲé

(Like a palatalised kappa; the kappa before i and e is always palatalised)

11. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russian the pronouncialtion is mostly different from English:
    a - /ah/
    b - /be/
    c - /tse/
    d - /de/
    e - /eh/
    f - /ef/
    x - /iks/
    y - /igrek/
    z - /zed/

But generally, the latinic latters are pronounced as they are pronounced in the launguage in question.

For example, if I am asked to spell the Frensh word "nation", I'd say "en-ah-te-i-o-en". If I'm spelling the English word "nation", I'd say "en-ei-ti-ay-o-en". If I do not know the origin of the word, I'd spell it as we spell Latin alfabet, "en-ah-te-i-o-en".

12. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
  13. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    In Arabic countries - some of which are closer to Italy geographically and culturally than parts of Europe - we have had plenty of exposure to the Roman empire, having been in it. On that basis one shouldn't assume that we'd call it 'English' - although in common speech some might say 'spell it in English/French' depending on background - but it's name is الأبجدية اللاتينية al-abjadiyya al-laatiiniyya, or 'latin letters' الحروف اللاتينية 'al-Horouf al-laatiiniyya'.

The pronunciation is about the same as English or French... although I'm yet to hear an Arab pronounce any european language 'properly' without having lived there! Arabs do also have a tendency to pronounce every letter very distinctly, and are totally unable to pronounce certain letters - which change depending on which country they're from. Egyptians think p & b , s & thing, z & the - are identical.
    Oh and the vowels are always totally screwed up.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  14. eoneo Junior Member

Abkhaz
    According to Wikipedia, Arabic pronunciation of Latin alphabet is as it is called in Latin.
    But I don't know for sure if it represents the Latin pronunciation or the actual pronunciation of Arabic speakers.