names [phonetic transcription]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by RusEng, Mar 5, 2013.

1. RusEng Junior Member

Russian
    Dear all.

Can somebody please tell me the correct transcription for the following two names (printed in bold type):

The victim was named Josh Miele. He was 4. On that day, Oct. 5, 1973, he was playing in the backyard of his family’s house on President Street while his mother, Isabella, cooked in the kitchen. The doorbell rang, and Josh sprinted to get it.

Standing on the other side of the heavy iron gate beneath the stoop was Basilio Bousa, 24, who lived next door. Josh unlocked it. Then he slipped his two feet into the gate’s lowest rung and grabbed hold with his hands so his weight would pull it open. But Basilio just stood there. So Josh stepped out, into the open.

Thank you in advance

2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I don't understand your problem. Those names look fine to me.

3. RusEng Junior Member

Russian
    I'm sorry, apparently I put my question incorrectly. I wanted to know, how a native speaker would read these names correctly. Usually, the correct way for reading a word is represented via a phonetic transcription, like in adore /əˈdɔr/, for example.

4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Neither of these is a typical English name. The first is probably German. (There's a large German manufacturing company by that name; the name itself might have originated somewhere else.) The second could be Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, or Arabic, though the given name suggests Italian. Their pronunciation is a question for speakers of those languages, not English, even though they appear in English text.

5. RusEng Junior Member

Russian
    I guess you're right Egmont, thank you for your help.

6. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Your question about phonetic transcription of names is a complex one,
    because you are asking about non-English names in what is apparently an English-speaking context (judging from the names "Josh" and "President Street").
    I recognize "miele" as an Italian word (it means "honey"), and "Basilio" as an Italian name.
    Based on my (limited) knowledge of Italian, the "ou" of "Bousa" seems like an unusual combination in Italian.
    Maybe your question is this: How would these names be pronounced by an English-speaker who doesn't know Italian?
    "Miele" in Italian is ['mje le]. An (American) English-speaker (or Josh's family—depending on how assimilated they are in their English-speaking country)
    might also say ['mje le], or [mi 'e le] (with three syllables), or even ['mi li] (since a final [e] sound is not common in English).
    I'm not acquainted with Italian-Americans named Miele, so I can't speak from experience about how they say their name when speaking English.
    Meanwhile, in "Bousa" (a name I've never encountered), I imagine English-speakers would give "ou" the French sound of ,
    and—without knowing that Italian "s" between vowels is (usually?) [z]—would give "s" the sound : ['bu sə]. And some might say ['bu zə].
    Does this help you?

7. RusEng Junior Member

Russian

Your answer is perfect, Cenzontle, thank you very much. American transcripiton is even better for me.