nanda yo vs nande yo

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by shorty35565, Jul 29, 2011.

1. shorty35565 New Member

Alabama
    English
    I was wondering what nanda yo and nande yo means. I think nande yo means why, because nande means why, but I wasn't sure if the yo changed it's meaning. And I think I've heard nanda yo on many shows and the subtitles always translate it as what the hell. Is that what it really means? Thanks in advance for your answers!

2. wathavy

wathavy Senior Member

Nagano Japan
    Japanese
    I think the translation is well done for Nanda yo.

But, I found 'Leav me alone!' would suit, or 'Mind your own business.' or 'Go away.' Or those which declare criticism or the sense of innuisance against the person the sentence is said to.

Or 'Is there anything you got in your mind to tell me? If so what is it?' is the underlying sense.

If this sentence is heard from an alien, I would be ashamed of the situation, perhaps.

3. shorty35565 New Member

Alabama
    English
    So it has different meanings depending on the situation?

4. kenmori Junior Member

Hiroshima, Japan
    Japanese
    Hi, shorty35565.

First, "Nande yo" and "Nanda yo" are informal expressions which have very different meanings.

"Nande" usually just asks why. On the other hand, "Nande yo" often means that you don't like what someone said. It sounds a little harsher, as if you are saying, "Why do you say that? Give me a good reason for it." (I am exaggerating for clarity.) Most men never say "Nande yo." Women do. Men are likely to say just "Nande" or "Nande da yo" for the same purpose.
    Yes. "Nanda yo" can be used in so many different contexts that it is very difficult to give you a comprehensive description of what that means. I can probably say that "nanda yo" shows a feeling of surprise mingled with annoyance, anger, disappointment, embarrassment, amusement or relief, though I doubt if this helps.

Could you give some more information?

By the way, this is my first post on this forum. I hope my English makes sense and it helps!

5. shorty35565 New Member

Alabama
    English
    Oh thank you so much! Actually everything you said helped quite a bit!
    If you think you could explain it more with more information, then I would like to hear it. What information would you need?
    You're English is perfect actually! So no worries :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    I think "more information" here means more context, more background to the words and phrases in question. Context minimizes ambiguity and will therefore help a great deal in the helper's understanding the problem and in the OP's understanding the explanation. It also attracts more responses for this very reason, since one knows that one's effort is not going to waste.

7. almostfreebird

almostfreebird Senior Member

Japón
    Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés
    Yes.:) Depending on context, "Nanda yo" would be an exclamation accompanied by vulgar words expressing extreme displeasure, for example if a brandnew laptop you just got crushed at the most inconvenient moment, you might curse "Oh man! or What the fxxk! Shit!" that can be translated as "Nandayo! Kuso!"

reference:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1913644

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  8. Aoyama Senior Member

川崎市、巴里 (黎)
    仏(佛)法語צרפתית Clodoaldien
    Some elements of answers have been given already. Here is my grain of salt :
    basically "nande" = why, "nanda" = what (nani desu[ka]).
    Adding "yo" is a colloquial or "conversational" style/way, reflecting agressivity or displeasure.
    Nande yo = What for ? Why are you doing this ? What the heck ?
    Nanda yo = (see AFB above) What (the fuck) are you doing ? Can also be taken as "don't fuck with me (if you keep doing what you are doing, I'll have a fight with you)", "what's going on here ?" Etc.

9. shorty35565 New Member

Alabama
    English
    Thanks guys! I understand a lot more now! All of you were really helpful!