Nasıl haberin almışsa dayı emmi hep orda

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Feb 3, 2013.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    I'm trying to translate a line from a '70s song in Turkish, which reads as follows:-
    Nasil haberin almışsa dayı emmi hep orda. It is supposed to mean "Somehow her uncles found out & they were already there" can you translate it literally for me? I'm puzzled about the above sentence. Where is the word in Turkish for 'somehow'? Almışsa means 'ıf he got (the news) as they say' and are there two uncles, one paternal & one maternal? Doesn't hep mean 'always'? And isn't her nasil the word for somehow? With hep orda I suppose you supply vardı.
    The song can be found at:-
  2. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

turkey, turkish

It was written as a folk song. It is very normal that you are having difficulty to translate it. It contains many shortcuts.
    It may be rephrased as follows:
    Her nasılsa dayı(ları) ve amca(ları) haber almışlar (duymuşlar/ öğrenmişler). Hepsi oradaydılar.

Somehow her uncles found out and they all were already there.
    somehow adv (by some manner) bir şekilde, bir yolla z ne yapıp edip z nasılsa, her nasılsa z

Nasıl haberin almışsa or nasılsa haberin almış.
    Paternal uncle amca, emmi
    Maternal uncle dayı
    Hep means all of them.
    They all were already there.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
  4. Reverence Senior Member

Before any attempt at translating the sentence, we should notice how "haberini" lost the accusative suffix there and became "haberin". A common wordplay in folk verse, it is achieved by dropping the suffix "-i", but not the buffer "n", in noun and adjective clauses in order to join the modified noun in the clause with the verb that follows.

"Nasıl haberin(i) almışsa" suggests that the person or people in question somehow heard about whatever news there are to hear, but the speaker doesn't really know how they did.

"Dayı emmi", or rather, "dayı, emmi" is a figure of speech to denote the relatives who are concerned with the ongoing affair between Zeynep and the singer (yes, I know the song) and have a say in it. As mentioned above, "dayı" and "emmi" mean maternal and paternal uncles, respectively.

"Hep orda" is simply "all there".

So, an accurate translation would be, "However they found out, they were all there, uncles and all."
  5. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Thanks so much, spiraxo! I could never have guessed that almışsa is nasıl.....almış-sa. No wonder The sentence ıs dıffıcult: there are so many compressed forms of speech as you elucıdate so well. Thanks for the detail, which is essential for any learner.