Nazi officer uniform

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by OliveF, Jan 8, 2008.

1. OliveF Junior Member

Français
    Hallo!

It's for a drawing title translate:

"Nazi officer uniform".

I propose "Nazi Oberbootsmann uniform", but I'm not sure about the word order.

It is correct?

(I'm trying with English,but if you see any mistake in my sentence, please tell me... ^_' )

2. Ritterbruder Junior Member

Chinese(Mandarin and Shangahainese), English
    In English, it would be "Nazi officer's uniform". You are lacking a possessive noun.

That is also the same problem with you German version. I looked up officer in German and I got der Offizier. Der Oberbootsmann literally translates into "upper boat man" . Although I am not sure about the German word for "officer", it would be something like this in the possessive:

Die Uniform eines Nazi Offizieres
    or:
    Die Uniform eines Nazi Oberbootsmanns

They both would translate into "The uniform of a Nazi officer".

I would let the natives correct me as I am still a German student.

3. mgsth Senior Member

Germany
    Germany / German
    I don't think you really want to have the word Oberbootsmann here. If you refer to the military rank, Offizier is correct.

You can use Ritterbruder's version:
    Die Uniform eines Nazi-Offizieres (you have to use the hyphen here)

Also, Offiziersuniform is a common word. One could say Eine Nazi-Offiziersuniform, but I'd prefer the above version.

Btw, NS-Offizier is a more neutral word than Nazi-Offizier. This applies to many words using the Nazi-/NS- prefix, like NS-Soldat, NS-Diktatur, NS-Zeit, whereas the last one should never be changed into Nazi-Zeit, the other words could.
    That might not matter in this case, but in an official context, it is often better to use NS.

4. OliveF Junior Member

Français
    Ich danke Ihnen ^_^

"Die Uniform eines Nazi-Offizieres" will be good i think... :)

5. Piotr_WRF Senior Member

Poland
    Polish, German
    It should be Nazi-Offiziers, without the e before the s. Note, that in mgsth's post the e is crossed out.

On a side note, the term Nazi officer may be considered historically inaccurate. What do you mean exactly? Is it a member of the Wehrmacht (the German army) or the SS? If it is the former I would say die Uniform eines Wehrmachtsoffiziers im Dritten Reich (the uniform of a officer of the Wehrmacht in the Third Reich) and in the latter case, die Uniform eines SS-Offiziers.

6. mgsth Senior Member

Germany
    Germany / German
    @Piotr
    You are right considering the Wehrmacht and the SS, but I believe some non-German people might not be as sure about the Wehrmacht as they are about the "Nazis". Anyway, in a museum or in a history book, one would surely distinguish between these two.

7. OliveF Junior Member

Français
    @Piotr

What i mean?
    I have used a uniform i have found somewhere in internet, so i cannot exactly say if it's a wehrmacht or a SS officer...
    I really cannot use the term "Officer"?

Edit: after verify, it's a waffen-SS uniform.
    So now is this title "Die uniform eine Nazi Waffen-SS officer"?

8. Piotr_WRF Senior Member

Poland
    Polish, German
    You can say "Die Uniform eines Waffen-SS-Offiziers".

9. OliveF Junior Member

Français
    It seems proper to me! ^_^

Thank you very much Ritterbruder, mgsth and Piotr_wrf!

10. Ritterbruder Junior Member

Chinese(Mandarin and Shangahainese), English
    Yeah it is Offiziers, not Offizieres. If the word has more than one syllable, it has a -s ending. If the word is only one syllable, it takes an -es ending.

But hey, no problem!

11. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    A question not yet addressed in this thread is whether an Oberbootsmann is an officer rank or a non-com rank. I think it is the latter:
    fr Wikipedia re 'Oberbootsmann' in the BRD Navy: "Der Oberbootsmann bezeichnet in Deutschland einen Soldaten im zweitniedrigsten Feldwebeldienstgrad bei der Bundeswehr innerhalb der Deutschen Marine." It probably was the same in the Third Reich.
    If I am right, we're really talking about the uniform of a non-commissioned officer (die Uniform eines Unteroffiziers der ehemaligen deutschen Kriegsmarine während des III. Reichs).

12. Lykurg

Lykurg Senior Member

Hamburg
    German
    bh7, I agree with you on the rank, but "Oberbootsmann" was just OliveF's wrong translation of "officer" (Offizier), so the uniform we talk about is an officer's uniform (Offiziersuniform).
    Later on OliveF found out that it is an uniform of the Waffen-SS; their rank names were completely different from the traditional German rank system; confer Wikipedia. The "Oberbootsmann" would have been the marine equivalent of Wehrmacht: "Oberfeldwebel", SS: "Hauptscharführer" - indeed not an officer rank.