Ne psuchor ultra uterum

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Ovidius, May 24, 2013.

1. Ovidius

Ovidius Senior Member

Hi everyone,

Ne psuchor ultra uterum

This is a sentence I read in a book named Poetics of Space and the chapter talks about psychoanalysis and its relation to the works of art.

I would like to ask you if some of you can give me the traslation of this Latin sentence in English.

Thanks a lot,

Greetings

2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings

If this is Latin at all, it is a misquotation. In the weird context of psychanalysis, ultra uterum could quite literally be "beyond the womb".

But I suspect some garbling in transmission here.

Are you sure you have transcribed it correctly?

3. Ovidius

Ovidius Senior Member

I very much appreciate your help, Scholiast.
    In fact the author didn’t mention the phrase was Latin or not. I have checked up in the book and I’m sure I had made no mistake in transcribing it above.

Shortly before this sentence he had written another one in Latin, which is comprehensible to me, that is Ne sutor ultra crepidam. But this one could be some invention of his, because we commonly know that philosophers sometimes in favour of coining new terms.

4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    OK.

We are dealing here with some pretentious git who thinks it appropriate to try impress with pseudo-science. (Most psycho-analysts do, but this is egregious).

These bits of "Latin" are utter nonsense.

"ne sutor ultra crepidam" could mean "lest I a shoemaker further socle"

This is entirely merda.

5. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    This one is a adaptation/misquotation of Pliny's ne supra crepidam sutor iudicaret. See this Wikipedia article for further explanation: Sutor, ne ultra crepidam. Your author then let his imagination run wild with this expression and made up a rather un-Latin noun psuchor, which I guess is supposed to mean "psychologist" or "psychiatrist". So if the first one says "Shoemaker, don't go beyond the sandal", the second one says "Shrink, don't go beyond the womb". I hope you can make some sense of this in the context of the book.