nearest from or to

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bdmj, Feb 1, 2013.

1. bdmj New Member

english - canada
    Scientific editor, seeing a lot of 'nearest from' creeping into network theory, as in 'the nearest node from the query point'--should be 'the node nearest to', for me.
    Sounds wrong to me, but it'll be an up hill push to expunge it.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Brian

2. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    As always, some context would help. Please give us a complete sentence containing the expression, and say where it's from.

3. bdmj New Member

english - canada
    'In the EXP method, the nearest node from the query point floods the query to nodes within a specific circular region...'--from network theory. Sorry, didn't think these necessary here.
    B.

4. bdmj New Member

english - canada
    Feels like 'farthest from' and 'nearest to' are gimmes, but some (esp. parallel) formulations get clumsy with 'nearest to'...

5. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    I agree. I'd say that 'nearest to' would be the more natural way to say it. I'm guessing, but it sounds as if the author was thinking of the nearest point in terms of radiating from the centre of the 'specific circular region'.

As for what's necessary here, please see the rules at the top of the forum's main page.

6. bdmj New Member

english - canada
    But you don't have a problem with 'nearest from' in principle, then (I can't tell if I do)--usable in some circumstances?
    (And thanks re rule. New here, but appreciate the site, and it's stalwarts.)
    B.