1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Necessary

Discussion in 'English Only' started by volver, Jun 23, 2008.

1. volver Senior Member

french belgium
    Hello,

A: Can you handle my case?
    B: Can you please give me more information.
    A: Yes
    B: I will do the necessary

Is that correct to say I will do the necessary or I will do all the necessary?

Thank you

VOLVER

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Volver, the only way to make this word a noun (which is the way that you are using it) is to say "necessaries" ie: "I will do the necessaries". Having said this, I will tell you that this use of "necessary" is very rarely heard. Idiomatically, you would usually hear "I will do everything necessary" or "I will attend to the necessary matters". "necessary" is pretty-much always used this way (as an adjective).

3. El escoces Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    English - UK
    But in BE, by contrast, "I'll do the necessary" is exceptionally common. So common that a solicitor might well use it when speaking to a client. We wouldn't ever use "necessaries" in this context.

Isn't language funny!

4. volver Senior Member

french belgium
    Sorry but I am confused now.

What is correct to say?

Thank you.

VOLVER

5. El escoces Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    English - UK
    All the necessary is wrong.

Choose between BE and AE, as you prefer, with the other two.

6. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    "I will do the necessary" sounds very, very odd to me; considering that "necessary" can be a synonym for a privy or latrine, it could even be understood to mean that you are hurrying to the bathroom!

I do not see how that fourth sentence is a response to the third, or how the third really answers the second. In response to "Can you give me more information?", I would expect information about the case ("I am suing the government", or "I am the defendant in a murder trial", or "I need a lawyer who can negotiate a contract", etc.) It is similar to saying to someone "Can you tell me what time it is?" The answer you expect is not a simple "Yes", but "Six o'clock", or some other time.

Assuming that "Yes" makes sense to B (for it makes little sense to me), and B is stating that B is capable of taking appropriate action, then B might say: I will do everything that is necessary, or I will do everything necessary.

7. V&VT Senior Member

Spanish
    I will do the necessary is correct