1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Neci / Necisin

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Xander2024, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    Hi again,

my other Turkish manual says that "neci(dir)?" must not be used when addressing a person directly, though it doesn't explain why. Could a native speaker please tell me if "Necisin?" or "Necisiniz?" is considered impolite or rude?

Thanks in advance.

2. Esoppe Junior Member

Turkish
    It's not that rude. It's informal and used when speaking to people that you know well, or to a person many years younger than you, or when referring to people that are absent (as put in your manual). You don't use it in formal environments, and you don't say it to someone you barely know; taxi-drivers (and other professions that try to get instantly friendly with their customers) might, though.

3. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    Ah, I see. What about "Ne iş yapıorsun?"? Or do you mean to say that any phrase of this kind would be considered importunate and annoying unless you know the person quite well ? For example, in English or in Russian there's nothing wrong in asking a person "What's your job?" or "What do you do for a living?"

Teşekkürler.

4. Esoppe Junior Member

Turkish
    Ne iş yapıyorsun is much more polite, and can be used with anyone (unless it's a person for whom you are using the 'polite/plural you', then it would be "Ne iş yapıyorsunuz?").

I'm not sure why "necisin" is considered less polite. Maybe because it's shorter. And maybe because it is a bit of a rogue formation:
    Neci, which is never used as a noun by itself, could be translated as "What-(t)er" (-er being the agent noun suffix). "Necisin?" becomes "Whatter are you?", hence "What do you make/sell/do"

5. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    I see now. Thanks for the help, Esoppe.