1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

nei paesi del Medio Oriente

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by AryDM, May 24, 2012.

1. AryDM

AryDM Senior Member

Southern Italy
    Italy Italian
    Hello everybody!
    How would you translate this sentence? "La vita è difficile nei paesi del Medio Oriente".
    Here is my attempt "Life is difficult in the Middle East countries".
    Should I write the article "the" or not?

Thanks! :)

2. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    " in middle eastern countries"
    "in the countries of the Middle East"

3. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    Sorry, proper capitalization is required. Them's the rules!* ;)

(*) The substandard grammar is intentional.

4. AryDM

AryDM Senior Member

Southern Italy
    Italy Italian
    Thanks a lot!

5. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    Certainly, Tee.

Or, alternatively, "Life's hard in the Middle East".

GS.

PS As an aside, I'd strongly recommend that Ary check whether the countries he mentions are in the Middle East or in the Near East. This is an old story, I know, but there might still be someone lurking in the dark, ready to stab the anything-goes writer in the back.

6. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Thank you Teerex

7. AryDM

AryDM Senior Member

Southern Italy
    Italy Italian
    Are Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Israel and Palestine in the Middle East or in the Near East?

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/near-east-vs-middle-east/

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    I do not know, Ary. There's been a time when Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt, a.s.f. were to be referred to as Near East countries.

GS :)

9. AryDM

AryDM Senior Member

Southern Italy
    Italy Italian
    I think I'll write "Middle Eastern countries" as some books and websites suggest. :)

10. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    Afghanistan and Pakistan are not even part of the "traditional" Middle East. There's a distance of 3,500 kms (as the crow flies) between Beirut and Islamabad.:idea:

11. Einstein

Einstein Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    UK, English
    I know there are different interpretations, but I remember "Near East" only from history lessons at school; the small-minded British 100 years ago used it to refer to the Balkans! I've always considered Palestine etc. as the Middle East.
    Teerex is right about Afghanistan and Pakistan. Are we going to include the Philippines in the Middle East?:D

12. King Crimson

King Crimson Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Italiano
  13. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian
    It does indeed.
    Today's Pakistan used to be part of the Indian Subcontinent (and India itself) until 1947, when the British took a pencil and a ruler to the map and sorted out those Foreign Johnnies ;). Since then, the Pakistanis' preference has shifted towards the definition South Asia, but the country hasn't moved an inch. :D Neighboring Afghanistan itself is a long way from Tipperary the Middle East, yet someone lumped it under The Greater Middle East together with Pakistan and a host of other countries, including Morocco (whose longitude is further West than London). :eek:

14. AryDM

AryDM Senior Member

Southern Italy
    Italy Italian
    According to Wikipedia, they are all countries of the Middle East, although Afghanistan and Pakistan are in the so called "greater Middle East". A list is provided! I'm going to use the word "Middle East" anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East

15. King Crimson

King Crimson Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Italiano
    Err... reading the two Wiki links in my own time I just noticed that South Asia and Central Asia may include both Pakistan and Afghanistan and, just to create more confusion:

Central Asia
    Southern Asia