1. tennisplayr22 New Member

usa
    hola todos!! haha i cant really speak spanish but my friends talk about me in spanish !! haha ok so anyone knows what this means?

"ay wei calmate andas tirende pedo con la tenista nene"

doesnt nene means baby boy? or could that refer to a girl aswell because im a girl! graciiiiiias

2. Cracker Jack Senior Member

Nene is not a baby boy but a boy. A girl is nena.

3. Mr. Chaz

Mr. Chaz Senior Member

Alabama
    United States - English
    Maybe so...but the WR dictionary gives "nene - baby boy"; "nena - baby girl."

4. shoam

shoam Senior Member

Seattle, Washington, USA
    spanish argentina
    YES, but some of us use NENE the same way in the US they say "KIDDO" at the end of a sentence.

5. Mr. Chaz

Mr. Chaz Senior Member

Alabama
    United States - English
    Of course, and the way we say: babe and baby too, maybe. So it depends on what the context is. (It's been a long time since I heard anyone say "Kiddo." :) I thought Cracker Jack was saying that "nene" never means "baby boy" and I was pointing out what the WR dictionary says.

6. Mr. Chaz

Mr. Chaz Senior Member

Alabama
    United States - English
    Maybe there was a comma before "nene".... and the guy was addressing the other guy as a "nene".

7. tennisplayr22 New Member

usa
    a ok! I get it! lol so does anyone know what the sentence means?

8. Mr. Chaz

Mr. Chaz Senior Member

Alabama
    United States - English
    Hey, dude! you're messing around with the tennis player, baby! (I really have no idea what "tirende pedo" means unless it's "tirando pedo"...and I still don't exactly get the connotation.

;) Well after consulting WR dictionary for "tirar pedo" I'll venture to say... "You're farting around with the tennis player."

9. tennisplayr22 New Member

usa
    thanks so much!!

10. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi!
    Well, "nene" indeed is a baby (boy) and it was refering to you. But don't worry; the whole sentence is awful. It seems to be mere slang and, when reading "wey" I think it's mexican.

I think it means:
    ¡Ay, wey, cálmate. Andas tirando pedo con la tenista, nene!
    ¡Hey, dude, calm down. You keep fighting with that tenis player, babe!

"Wey" comes from "güey", a deformation of "buey" (castrated bull, bullock) that mexicans use to refer informally to any friend/person; "Tirando pedo" literally means "farting" but "pedo" often means "pelea" (fight). And you're right, they should have called you "nena".

Bye.

11. tennisplayr22 New Member

usa
    ok thank you so much!! that makes sense!! and yes they are Mexican!! but was it offensive to call me Nene instead of Nena... like calling a girl a guy on purpose??

12. Milton Sand

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    No, I don't think they meant to be offensive but ironcally tender like usual amongst female friends; so, they were (or should I say she was) telling off you but not offending. They just deform the language like young people use to do and then they miss when choosing the right words.
    However, there's a couple, friends of mine, and he calls her "nene" all the time. As if "nene" were a generic tender word.
    Bye!

13. horusankh

horusankh Senior Member

Guadalajara
    México, Español
    Hi,

I agree with the translation, but I think that whoever said that, said it to his male friend, talking about la "tenista", who would be Tennisplayr22, so, the "nene" is his friend.

14. Fantasmagórico

Fantasmagórico Senior Member

Montevideo, Uruguay
    Uruguayan Spanish
  15. horusankh

horusankh Senior Member

Guadalajara
    México, Español
    Hola Fantasmagórico:

Bueno, pues no sé, se dice el bebé y la bebé, pero yo siempre he oído el "nene" y la "nena", pero en este contexto me parece que el que habla, habla con su amigo acerca de la tenista, y le dice nene al amigo.

Saludos.

To Tennisplayr22:

I've thought about it, and maybe it depends on the further context, because it could also mean that he, the friend is shooting drunk. When somebody is "pedo", that means he is drunk.

And it could also be, if you didn't hear correctly, "tirar los perros" which would be "flirting".

Greetings.

16. Milton Sand

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Well, Tennisplayr, I agree with Horusankh's post #13:
    It definitely seems your friends weren't talking to you but to a guy next to you. since I've heard mexicans call "güey" to a man but not a girl, and it's curious that your friend could have confused "nena" with "nene" when adressing to you.
    Bye.

17. tennisplayr22 New Member

usa
    yes.... and i agree with #13... and we weren't fighting... just talking... thanks to everybody!

18. tennisplayr22 New Member

usa
    well... we were in an A.I.M chat room ... me and the 2 boys... and thats what was said I just wanted to know what they said haha

19. Polly_pocket Junior Member

England
    UK English
    do you think you may have misheard and they were saying tirando el pelo? where i lived in spain they used it to mean laughing at or mocking someone.