nice to meet you / nice meeting you

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Jean-Michel Carrère, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    How should you respond to both of the two greetings below (assuming you are also pleased to meet the speaker again, or just polite:) ) :

1) Pleased to meet you again, Paul !

2) Nice to meet you again, Paul !

Thank you for your help !

2. mjscott Senior Member

For either, you could say, "The pleasure is mine!"

3. Rebecca Hendry

Rebecca Hendry Senior Member

Scotland
    United Kingdom - English
    There are all sorts of things you could say in response to those two phrases:

"Good/great/nice/lovely to see you again" is probably what I would say in that situation.

4. Axl Senior Member

Yorkshire
    England, English
    I'd be a little careful with this one, because it could easily be percieved as sarcastic if not said properly. It may also be seen as a little archaic or formal or even James Bond (affecting a Sean Connery accent): The pleasure is mine, Moneypenny.

Rebecca's responses work well.You could just go with something very simple: Yeah, you too.

Axl.

5. kathy_wylie Senior Member

France, La Vienne, 86
    Ireland, English
    'Likewise' is a good one

6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    It is common in informal AE to hear, "Same here." I prefer, and use, Kathy Wylie's suggestion.

cuchu

7. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    I think it'd be awkward to end a conversation "nice to meet you". Do I get this right? I have the impression that we usually say "nice to meet you" when we first meet someone, and "nice meeting you" when leaving.

So this ending of a conversation would sound awkward and rather impolite:

"Sorry, I have to phone my boss. Nice to meet you".

And this one polite and appropriate:

"Sorry, but I'm afraid I have to phone my boss. Nice meeting you."

Could you please tell me if the second one is a better version of the first one?

Thanks!

8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There is no circumstance in which the excuse "I have to phone my boss" would be acceptable - to me.
    Either you wish to talk to me, or you don't.
    The idea that a phone call to your boss is more important to your organisation than a personal conversation with me is insulting. I will have no further contact with your organisation.

You might want to apologise to me and explain that you need to talk to your boss about something. That might be acceptable.

If you want to stop talking to me, and begin talking to someone else, you would need to find a very much more plausible excuse. You might then also say that it has been good to talk to me. I wouldn't believe you, but then I have been in too many of these conversations.

9. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

I would have to agree with you riglos. We say "Nice to meet you" at the beginning and "Nice meeting you" at the conclusion of the encounter. I also agree with your order of rudeness. The first one is rude while the second one is softer.

Also, I disagree with the second one being rude without knowing the full context.

Nice English! :D

10. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I've heard both at the end of conversation but "Nice meeting you" sounds better to me. You could also say, "Nice to have met you."

11. M56 Senior Member

Madrid
    Britain. English.
    To me, either can sound right. If you see "nice to meet you" as omitting "it was" before it, you'll probably sound polite enough.

12. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    A lot of people say "Nice meeting you," but that's just too "incomplete" for my ears. I, by nature, tend to be very "complete" and rich in my language I suppose you could say. I'd say the whole sentence: "It was nice meeting you" or "It was a pleasure to {meet/have met} you"

-M

13. cyrille2188 Junior Member

New Jersey, USA
    The Philippines - Fluent in Tagalog/English; Intermediate in French
    For me, when I actually remember to say this at the start, I'd say it as "Nice meeting you". Meanwhile, if I had forgotten about it, then I'd stick it in before we part and say "By the way, nice to meet you". However, I do realize now that the proper way to say it after having met someone is "nice to HAVE met you". It just sounds more proper in every way imaginable.

14. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    When I was watching TV(probably Friends), I found that when A said"nice meeting you", B said:"you too" instead of "me too". So which one is correct in this case? Or both will do?

15. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)

It means that "it's nice meeting you too". I think "you too" is much better in this case. (God, isn't this a bit confusing?:D )

16. nmuscatine Senior Member

California
    English, USA
    "you too" is short for "nice meeting you too"
    this is the most natural thing to say, i think.
    or you could say "likewise," meaning that you say the same thing in return.

if you say "me too" then it could mean that it is nice to meet yourself.

17. nasridine Senior Member

USA
    Chinese, China
    Awesome. Thank you

18. bhcesl Junior Member

USA/English
    Also, it is worth mentioning that "Nice meeting you," is a reduced form of "It was nice meeting you." In this case, we are using the pleonastic it, which is the it that doesn't really represent a noun. Instead, it acts as a dummy pronoun to put a subject where a subject would otherwise be difficult to find.

That being the case, if you said, "Me too," you would be replacing the dummy subject it with "I" as a subject: "I was nice meeting you, too." This is obviously incorrect.

I personally would say, "Same here."

19. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Is not the "Me too" construction an abridgement of "It was nice for me too"?

--edit--
    And the "You too" if spelt out would surely be "...you, too."

20. caloomera Junior Member

Romania
    Hi! The corect form is me too.

21. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    "Me too," and "You too," don't really mean anything on their own - do they?

In a different context - for example,
    A "I really like chocolate-coated sausages."
    B "Me too."
    We all know what is meant, even though it is not exactly grammatical. I often hear "Me too," in this context.
    It would, of course, be nonsensical for B to say "You too,"
    except as an exclamation or a question.
    A "I really like chocolate-coated sausages."
    B "You too?"
    Where B is expressing surprise that he has found someone else with this peculiarity.

In the example that is the subject of this thread, "Nice meeting you," is a statement of one person's opinion, the direct equivalent of,
    A "I really liked meeting you."
    B ??? What can B answer?

If we are to allow for "me too" or "you too" to be an acceptable, albeit colloquial, response, we need to conclude that both parts of this conversation are idiomatic, not amenable to grammatical analysis.

"Me too" is an idiom meaning something like "I share your opinion," or, "That goes for me, too." That in itself will not solve the problem. "Nice meeting you," has to be interpreted as "I found our meeting to be very enjoyable."

Replay, then:
    "Nice meeting you," - "Me too."
    is equivalent to
    "I found our meeting to be very enjoyable," - "That goes for me too."

There is no scope that I can find for "You too," in that dialogue - SO FAR!!
    But listening in to A and B for a little longer:
    A "Nice meeting you."
    B "Me too."
    A "You too!?"
    B "Yes, I know we were both really dreading this meeting but it has turned out to be very enjoyable after all."

So I conclude, while watching the luge and the ice hockey from Turin, that the only acceptable option is "Me too". It is not grammatically correct, but it is colloquially accepted.

22. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)

Oh, I don't know...I hear this all the time spoken by native speakers:
    --I love you
    --you too ( maybe it should be "you,too" as our brilliant maxiogee suggested)

23. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    Blushes,
    … and then asks caloomera to quote the source for that statement "the correct form is me too".

24. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    ~~chuckle~~
    Using my Saturday-afternoon analysis, that would be interpreted as:
    A I love you.
    B You too? - Expressing surprise that A has joined the ever-growing army of people who love B:D

OK, so I know what they mean when they say that - but it is a small example of a syndrome:
    "I know that the words I used don't actually mean what I meant to say, but you know what I meant to say, don't you?"
    Alternatively:
    "I couldn't be bothered expressing my thoughts clearly because I know you'll put in the effort to read between the lines."

25. linlon Senior Member

mandarin
    Hi,

I heard people say "It is nice to meet you" when they first met each other. In this case , can we use "It was nice meeting you." instead? And are there any difference in meaning?

Thank you for your help!

26. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    You would say "It was nice meeting you" when you part with that person. Five minutes ago, you were introduced and said "It is nice to meet you" (present tense). You chatted for 5 minutes and as you part from each other, you use the past tense: "It was nice meeting you" or "It was nice to meet you".

27. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    I suggest using the forum search facility.
    If you use the advanced search to search the English Only forum for nice to meet you, you should find a number of previous threads that discussed this topic.