nickname: songbird

Discussion in 'Català (Catalan)' started by coppertopp, Nov 21, 2013.

1. coppertopp New Member

english
    Hello,

I am writing a work of fiction featuring a character who is originally from Valencia. If my character meets a young woman, petite of build, with a lovely singing voice, and he decides to give her a nickname, roughly equivalent to "little bird" or "songbird", how would he say that?

Thanks so much!

2. ACQM

ACQM forera que modera

Manresa (Barcelona)
    Spain - Spanish
    "Rossinyol" means "ngihtingale" which is a common little bird that sings beautifully.

3. Elessar

Elessar Senior Member

Valencian Country
    Catalan (Valencian), Spanish (Spain)
    I think Teuladina might be a good choice. It sounds nice. Moreover, it is the feminin form of teuladí, meaning sparrow. In Valencia we often call teuladí any kind of bird that sings.

4. Elessar

Elessar Senior Member

Valencian Country
    Catalan (Valencian), Spanish (Spain)
    There is a folk-tale from the well-known Valencian writer Enric Valor called “El príncep desmemoriat” in which there is a character called Oriolina (feminine form of “oriol”, ‘golden oriole’ in English). She receives that name because she imitates the sing of that bird and because she is even able to turn into a golden oriole (this is a fantasy tale). I don't know if that would be a kind of plagiarism, but here you have the name just in case.

5. germanbz Senior Member

Benicàssim - Castelló - Spain
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)
    Afegiria que si estàs parlant de una xica petita i estàs buscant un "malnom" per a un caràcter valencià com el que has descrit no seria mala idea el acabar eixe nom en -eta, sonaria inclús més "real".

6. coppertopp New Member

english
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate it very much!

7. coppertopp New Member

english
    So, if I were to use the above mentioned Teuladina, you are suggesting that I make it Teuladeta instead?

8. ACQM

ACQM forera que modera

Manresa (Barcelona)
    Spain - Spanish
    Teuladineta, I guess.

9. Navel Senior Member

Valencia (España)
    Castellano - Español
    De totes, les que més m'agaden són teuladina o rossinyol. Afigc mareta que s'utilisa per a nomenar al teuladí femella.