Niet van in relationship naar in another relationship

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by jaja13, Aug 2, 2012.

1. jaja13 New Member

portuguese
    Hello to all! Could any one please enlighten me as to what this means? Thanks so much :)

2. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Where did you get it from? It's a mixture of Dutch and English, so it's not really what one would call "normal".

It probably has some sense when it comes in a context, but just like that, I haven't the faintest idea.

3. jaja13 New Member

portuguese
    Peterdg thanks for the reply :) Came from a facebook status! Someone changed it and that's what someone else commented on.

4. jaja13 New Member

portuguese
    It was actually; Single? Niet van in relationship naar in another relationship?

5. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Ah, then it makes sense. It's a joke about a "relationship" status update in Facebook. Someone probably changed his status from "has a relationship (with)" to "single" and someone commented on it: "don't you mean you have a relationship with someone else instead of "single"?????"

6. jaja13 New Member

portuguese
    Thanks so much Peterdg - I guess it is a joke that you have to be a part of the culture to understand, right?! In our culture (brazilian) that would show a lot of disrespect! That's interesting. Is this type of humor common in Belgium?

7. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Like everything, it depends on the context. Some will be offended, others may not. If e.g. the guy (for the sake of the example, I'll assume it's a guy) is a notorious playboy, and he's proud of it, then he may very well appreciate the comment. If, on the other hand, this was a painful experience for the person in question, yes, then it may be offensive and disrespectful. It doesn't have too much to do with the culture, I think.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  8. jaja13 New Member

portuguese
    that's a good point! thanks peterdg ;)