1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ninie

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by jacquesvd, May 25, 2014.

1. jacquesvd Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch
    Coming across L. Staff's translation of Goethe's poem 'Über allen Gipfeln..." I don't understand nor cannot explain the word 'ninie' in the final sentence that I reproduce here: I tobie ninie/spocząć już czas .

Can anybody please translate this word and explain its form? Thanks in advance

2. wolfbm1 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Ninie, in 'Słownik Staropolski', is defined as teraz, obecnie. So, it should mean 'now', 'at present'. This is the first time I have heard of that word.

3. jasio Senior Member

Indeed, the stem is probably preserved only in adjective 'niniejszy'. You can more often find an older variant though, "nynie", with the same meaning, which is sometimes used as an archaism for stylistic reasons (http://www.eioba.pl/a/1vly/wyrazy-zapomniane).

4. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    The word is an archaism indeed but I've been familiar with it since my childhood thanks to religious texts (e.g. Little Office of Our Lady: Jak było na początku i zawsze i ninie ... or the famous Easter song Wstał Pan Chrystus z martwych ninie, etc.)

5. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    If you would be familiar with Old Slavonic (nyně, nъně), Old Czech (nynie, nenie), Czech (nyní, dial. nýčko, nejčko), Russian (ныне), ...

PIE nū, Lat. nunc, Gr. νῦν, Germ. nun;