1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

no amount of evidence to the contrary will shift

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Thawt, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Thawt

Thawt Junior Member

Polish
    Greetings
    Could anyone enlighten me please what does journalist here mean by writing this:
    (it concerns commentary on EURO 2012 )
    "In between the occasional insight, you can expect old-fashioned notions about the teams that no amount of evidence to the contrary will shift..." I don't quite get the bold part of the sentence.
    Thanks in advance!

2. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I don't see any bold - is it just my browser or are others experiencing the same problem?

3. Thawt

Thawt Junior Member

Polish
    No, no, your browser is ok, it was just my fogetting to do so
    Now it should be all right

4. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Ah, OK. "No amount of evidence to the contrary will shift" means that the people in question are so adamant in their belief that nothing anybody can say will change their minds.

For example, say you have a woman named Julie who is extremely fearful of being a victim of a crime. Every time Julie and her friends hear about someone being mugged or robbed, they take it as evidence that the crime rate is going up and up and up. They do this even though they live in a very safe area and the crime rate in their city is actually dropping. Once they reach the point where the only evidence they take into consideration is the evidence that supports what they already believe to be the truth, that's when they've reached the point at which no amount of evidence to the contrary will change/shift their minds.

5. Thawt

Thawt Junior Member

Polish
    Thank you and appreciate your time, it's all clear now:)