1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

no hagas con los demás lo que no te gustaria que te hagan a ti

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by -.- KYO -.-, Jun 20, 2012.

1. -.- KYO -.- New Member

Lima - Peru
    Peruvian Spanish
    Necesito ayuda con este refran:

"no hagas con los demás lo que no te gustaría que te hagan a ti"

¿Cómo lo traduciría al inglés..? Yo pienso que seria de la siguiente manera:

"Don't do to the others what you wouldn't like do to you "

Is it correct??? Please somebody can help me.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hola y bienvenido a los foros, Kyo :)

Encontraré lo que buscas en este hilo anterior:
    [h=1]no hagas a los demás lo que no te gustaría que te hiciesen a tí[/h]
    En particular este mensaje contesta a tu pregunta:

3. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

But the "unto" sounds so biblical.
    A conversational way would be "Don't do things to other people that you wouldn't want them to do to you."

4. TioChus

TioChus Senior Member

Santander (Spain)
    Spanish - Spain
    Maybe unto sounds biblical, but I think it fits here. Take in account it's a proverb translation, and proverbs are usually sentences that have remained unchanged since centuries ago. So, finding some words sounding archaic in them is not unusual.
    Using similar archaisms in a translation to english of the proverb may result in an "added style" of "immovable truth", that is the main aim of these sentences. And might give them that style of "thing that comes from old" (though it might have got a little bit rancid on the way). Just a matter of style.

5. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

People say it all the time without the "unto." You say it to kids.

6. TioChus

TioChus Senior Member

Santander (Spain)
    Spanish - Spain
    I guess the thought is so universal, ethernal and understandable (though not always applied) that the proverb has been used in all languages, and the idea has been expressed a hundred different ways. The way I learnt it was "Lo que no quieras para ti, no lo quieras para los demás". Anyway, as I told you it's a matter of style and of making it sound archaic on purpose. And by the way, given the fact that, more than a proverb, it's a sentence in the gospel (I think St Lucas 6:31) said by Jesus himself, the "biblical touch" added is the obvious choice.

7. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Is "no hagas con los demás lo que no te gustaría que te hagan a ti" somehow archaic-sounding?

8. TioChus

TioChus Senior Member

Santander (Spain)
    Spanish - Spain
    I meant the original "Y como queréis que os hagan los hombres, así hacedles también vosotros" (Gospel by St Lucas, 6:31). Sounding archaic and biblical (quite obvious as it's part of the bible). And so it's the original Aztlaniano post, with its "untos". Of course, even the Bible has been revised and adapted to modern language, but again, it's a matter of style, and if Kyo wanted to give it some of its original biblical meaning... well, the untos and archaisms would fit well, I insist.

9. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

OK, but that wasn't the question. That's from another thread.

10. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I say "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you" to adults. I'm not religious and wasn't aware that it is found in the Bible. For younger children I would paraphrase.

11. TioChus

TioChus Senior Member

Santander (Spain)
    Spanish - Spain
    I think we're not helping much with this exchange as we're flogging a dead horse. Again, I think it's only a matter of style. If Kyo wants to keep the original biblic style of the sentence, then that "Don't do unto others what you wouldn't want them to do unto you" suggested by Aztlaniano in the old thread is more than fine. If he wants to use an up-to-date style, your suggestion is perfect, k-in-sc. So it's his (or her) choice.

12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Aztlaniano's suggestion doesn't sound natural. The negation sounds odd. He's been in Spain too long :D

13. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
  14. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

That would fall into the "sayings" category too, not the "natural speech" category.

15. -.- KYO -.- New Member

Lima - Peru
    Peruvian Spanish
    yeah la segunda frase esta bien para lo que yo quiero decir =) .. Gracias

16. -.- KYO -.- New Member

Lima - Peru
    Peruvian Spanish
    thank you for your welcome... y gracias por su pronta respuesta.. fue de gran ayuda para mi =)

17. -.- KYO -.- New Member

Lima - Peru
    Peruvian Spanish
    Yeah it sounds kind of weird.. I think the phrase could be.... "Don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you."