"No harm has been done"

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Waenelin, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Waenelin Senior Member

France
    French
    Hello Egueule, Gil, Kelly and others... Here am I back ! ;) Hope you had sweet holiday...
    I'm quite embarassed to translate this passage :

"Tell tourself no harm's been done. That a state of common will return."

Should we say "qu'aucun préjudice n'a été commis" or "que rien de grave ne s'est passé"...?
    For the second part, what do you think of "Que les choses vont reprendre leur cours" ?

Thanks a lot :)

2. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Hi Waenelin,

I'm afraid no harm has been done can mean one or the other. Maybe a native English speaker could help here. With more context perhaps...
    For the second part, I agree with your translation.
    Have you thought of using tout va rentrer dans l'ordre ?

3. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Est-ce que
    personne n'en a souffert
    conviendrait à ton contexte ?

4. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    Hello Waenelin

I confess that I'm rather confused by 'a state of common'. A state of common what? It seems to me that this should be followed by another noun of some sort ... unless (given your suggested context of préjudice ... commis) it's a legal term I'm not familiar with. :)

5. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Dis-toi qu'on n'a rien fait de mal et que les choses vont se tasser...

6. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    The original English sounds strange to me to. I haven't heard of a "state of common" before.

7. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Would "state of calm" make sense?

8. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Yes that's fine English. I can't imagine what a "state of common" is though, if it was written by a native English speaker. Waenlin, who wrote the original?

9. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Gil suspected Waenelin had heard it instead of reading it, I suppose.

10. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Ah, I see. Yes could well be.

11. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    No harm done - Il n'y pas de mal

12. Waenelin Senior Member

France
    French
    Thanks to all for your answers !!!
    I had forgotten this thread because last time I came here they used to send a mail for each answer, so I was stupidly waiting for the mail... :eek:

Gil, you're the best ! (one of th best, at least :D) : this text was heard, indeed. I'm working again on Viggo Mortensen's poems (it will echoe in some minds here ;) ) but I'm now studying the texts that are only on his CDs, music and poetry CDs.
    In addition, in this case, the difficulty is that there is NO context... Viggo often does this ; only set up the scene and suggest the rest. Here is the whole text :

"Tell tourself no harm's been done. That a state of common will return. Listen to birds you can hear. Hang up the phone. Put out cigarette. Don't move. Close your eyes..."

Listening again and again I'm not sure if he says "common" or "calm". One time I hear the one and next time the other ! But if "a state of calm" seems correct to you all, it must be this. :)

Thanks to all again ;)