'No' later than / 'Not' later than

Discussion in 'English Only' started by King Crimson, Sep 9, 2009.

1. King Crimson

King Crimson Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Italiano
    I was unsure as to which of the two expression was the right one, so I goggled them and got the following:

No later than: ca. 105 million
    Not lather than: ca. 4.5 million

Is it enough to conclude that "No later than" is right, even though the other one got a significant number of hits?

P.S. does the same apply if we substitute "sooner" for "later"?

Thanks
    KC

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. Toadie

Toadie Senior Member

Maryland
    English
    Both are grammatically correct, and both sound normal. "No later than" does sound more idiomatic to my ears, though.

Oh, and by the way, Gavin Harrison from King Crimson is amazing :D

3. Imber Ranae Senior Member

English - USA
    "Not lather than" is a typo. Or maybe a bad pun. I only get 35,800 results for the phrase on Google (you must include quotation marks around it). That estimate doesn't mean that the same typo has been made 20,700 times, by the way. The number of search results are usually wildly overestimated, due to the way Google's search engine works.

"No sooner than" is good English, but it has the opposite meaning of "no later than".

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    A check of the WRD for lather will show you why it obviously is a typographical error as well as incorrect English. (But don't get all lathered up over it :))

In addition "later" usually involves a time element. I don't see where 4.5 million is a time element.

5. King Crimson

King Crimson Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Italiano
    Thank you guys for your answers. Then I gather that "No later than" should be used.

Yes Imber Ranae, my query was about "Not" vs "No" in that type of expression and, of course, "sooner" is the opposite of "later";)

Sorry sdgraham, I didn't specify it referred to the number of hits in Google, and was not connected to "later" (see also post #3)...:)

Yes I know Toadie, but I'm (much) older than you and tend to prefer their first albums (especially "In the Court of the Crimson King" and "Islands"):D