no more colored forums for Spanish GV

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by mkellogg, Nov 14, 2008.

1. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi everybody,

After consulting with the moderators and hearing from many others, I've decided to revert the "colored forums" - the Spanish general vocabulary forums that are split among various colors - to a single forum, like it was a year ago. There will be advantages and disadvantages to the single forum, but I think it is the best way to go.

The original purpose of dividing the forum was to encourage better answers to questions through smaller forums. We hope to soon have a new solution to that problem using tags, so the principal reason for creating these separate forums will cease to exist.

The changeover will be Saturday night. I need to shut down the forums to upgrade to vB 3.7.4 anyway, so this is a good time to do it. Expect the forums to be closed around 10pm to midnight US Eastern time.

Wish the forum luck, and hopefully the transition will not be too difficult for us.

Saludos,
    Mike

2. Cabeza tuna

Cabeza tuna Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Chilean Spanish & Chilean Coa
    Mike on my own opinion I dont think than thi is a really good idea because the forum is really fast and in this way you can find a thrad more faster, but you are the boss, haha.
    I am going to take the chance to ask you, because I notice than you can do 2 post in a row so your nickname appears twice and etc. vB has and option when is you post and you do it again before some one do it the 2 post are merge. What do you think about doing that here?

PD. I really hope than you undestand me.

3. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Hello Mike,

What will happen with the Old Vocabulario General? Will it be merged, too?

4. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi Alexa,

Yes, the plan is to merge everything back into that forum and rename it.

5. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    There are many ways to find a thread, depending on what kind of thread you are looking for.

"Browsing" through the forum to find a thread is not the most effective way to find a thread, no matter what kind of thread you are looking for.

6. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Oh well. I had come to like the combined view. It'll be interesting to see the new settings..

Thanks, Mike.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  7. MancUniStudent Junior Member

English
    I think that this is a great idea!
    Good luck!
    MUS x

8. romarsan

romarsan Senior Member

Valencia
    SPAIN - SPANISH
    Hola.

Me he acostumbrado a la Combined View con más rapidez de la que creía. Al principio me generó inseguridad, pero pronto me acostumbré y me volveré a acostumbrar al antiguo diseño, en cierta forma será como volver a casa tras haber estado de viaje un tiempo.

Al foro dividido le encontraba una pega, inevitablemente y salvo que al mirar la combined view un hilo me llamara especialmente la atención, siempre comenzaba por el mismo orden, primero el azul y blanco, marrón... y, dependiendo del tiempo que tuviera, a veces el foro verde no llegaba ni a abrirlo, pero probablemente habrá quien comenzara por el verde.

En fin, aquí estaremos para ver el cambio.

Saludos

9. matthews028 Senior Member

Orlando, FL
    English, USA
    I am in favor of this. I never really liked the subdivided forums anyway.

10. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Things haven't exactly gone as planned. :( The server seemed to be having trouble with one big forum, so I've split it into two forums for now - one for current threads and one "old" forum for older threads. Let's see if this works better.

11. romarsan

romarsan Senior Member

Valencia
    SPAIN - SPANISH
    Si, hace un rato me salió un mensaje "no puede abrir hilos en este foro" y me di cuenta que había dos foros, pero esta mañana funcionaba bien ¿no?

Se habrá asustado el servidor al ver todos los threads juntos de nuevo :D

12. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    The server seems to be doing much better with two forums than it did with one forum. I'll probably try to combine them again later this week, but I want to leave it alone for now and hope for the best tomorrow.

¿Asustado? At least overwhelmed! I think there are too many threads and pages to count every time somebody views the forum home.

13. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Even if the dual forums is a long-term solution, Mike, I think we'll get used to it. Thanks for your hard work to keep the forums running smoothly... and quickly. :)

14. laisla Senior Member

La Habana, Cuba
    English - Australia
    Hi everyone,

Just a little feedback on the new design...I have noticed my threads get less attention now, usually one person might reply but in the old forum I seemed to get alot more replies. I don't know if that is the point of the change but I just thought i would mention it either way, as I am probably one of the most prolific posters here (thankyou to all for putting up with my mistakes in Spanish and correcting them, I do try...)

Thankyou to all the moderators for their work.

15. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Laisila, let's see how things go over the next couple of weeks as people get used to the new format. I would be seriously concerned if that turned out to be the pattern.

16. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I agree. We will all have to change the way that we view threads and the way that we navigate the forum. Once people become accustomed to the new (old) look of the forum, your threads will get more replies.

17. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Give us a chance, mate.

We´re still trying to adjust to the new settings.

After all, el hombre es un animal de costrumbres... Have you ever heard that old Spanish saying? It´s too true.

Though it is still more accurate de costumbre, el hombre es un animal, but that´s another question...

Thanks, Mike. I quite like the forum as it is now. Lovely job.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  18. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    I was getting used to the colour-coded forums. I used to cycle through them to help out with any questions that I could.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure things will go well with the reverted version.

19. Mirlo

Mirlo Senior Member

Missouri
    Castellano, Panamá/ USA
    I like it, even though at the beginning it felt weird...but I felt the same way when it was changed to colors...:D

20. Giorgio Lontano

Giorgio Lontano Senior Member

Nova Guatemala da Assunção.
    Guatemala - Español
    Wow! This is new to me, since I joined WRF after the colored forums were implemented. Just to comment, there are at this moment 21 pages of threads with posts from today alone! :eek: That's one busy forum. I take the opportunity to thank you, Mike, for these great forums and I hope it all goes well in this new GV adventure!

Regards
    :)

21. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

I am one of those silly people that welcomes change with open arms, as long as it don't get in my way. The change to the smaller forums was great because it allowed me to see many of the zero-reply threads before they got obliterated by the regular thread tsunami of the EN-SP general vocabulary forum traffic. The combined view was cool.
    I guess it's back to the old "show posts in ascending order of number of replies" trick.
    Ah, well…
    Good luck to all forum users.
    D

22. Vampiro

Vampiro Senior Member

Emiratos Árabes
    Chile - Español
    Hola.
    Me parece una excelente idea.
    Estoy de acuerdo con ella. Tan de acuerdo como en desacuerdo estaba hace un año cuando se planteó la división.
    Hubo foros de colores en los cuales creo que nunca llegué a aportar; de hecho dejé de ir al spanish/english durante un largo tiempo.
    Saludos.
    _

23. Cabeza tuna

Santiago, Chile
    Pienso muy parecido y lo he podido observar muchas preguntas caen en el olvido rápidamente con 0 post, esto por el rápido movimiento del foro.

24. Aserolf

Aserolf Senior Member

Colorado, USA
    Spanish/Torreón☺MEX
    Hello Mike.
    I have posted like two o three questions since the change happened but I can not tag my threads anymore. Why is this happening?
    How can I do that? if I still can.
    Thank you for your reply!

25. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Did the moderators etc feel that the multi-coloured forums were not manageable?
    I get the feeling that many threads are now slipping away unanswered due to volume of questions.

I'd be interested to know why there was felt a need to revert.

26. romarsan

romarsan Senior Member

Valencia
    SPAIN - SPANISH
    My doubt is wether there are now more unanswered threads than before or the question is that it is easier to find them. I remember that it was usual to find threads with no answers in the red and green forums.

27. laisla Senior Member

La Habana, Cuba
    English - Australia
    Hi,
    A good idea maybe to bring back the colored forums but have them "revolving", or for example that they change their place everytime you open the principal page.

28. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    One of the factors was that the "number of replies per thread" did not go up after we switched to the colored forums. In other words, threads received the same number of replies -- and the same number of threads went unanswered.

29. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    I also joined the WR forums after the colored forums were implemented, and I like it much better now, without them. It gives reponse to one of my requests here:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=972404

Mike, would it be too difficult to move the "Top" button from the blue line of buttons at the bottom of the page -where it doesn't belong, and in my opinion serves no useful purpose- to immediately below the last message? As you are introducing changes anyway...:eek:

30. Aserolf

Aserolf Senior Member

Colorado, USA
    Spanish/Torreón☺MEX
    Hello!
    Could somebody answer my question?
    Is the option tag still available?
    I like it better this way, with no colored forums, but I'd like to tag my threads.

Thanks a lot!

31. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Yes, tags are still available. You need to join the "taggers" usergroup in Control Panel>Group Membership to be able to add tags now. Please join the group.

And I need to make that more obvious to people somehow. :)

32. Aserolf

Aserolf Senior Member

Colorado, USA
    Spanish/Torreón☺MEX
    Thanks Mike!
    I just joined the group. I would have never guessed it!
    You should make this more obvious ;o)

33. coquis14

coquis14 Senior Member

Entre Macrilandia/Chamamélandia
    Español ,Argentina
    No sé si este hilo está planteado para que dejemos opiniones o para que nos saquemos dudas pero si se está volviendo al formato viejo por algo es , así que acatemos , aunque ya me había encariñado con los colorcitos.:rolleyes::p

34. Misao

Misao Senior Member

back in Soria
    Zaragoza(Spain)- Spanish
    I also got used to the coloured forums...I must say I was not really happy at first, but as somebody said before, I was able to visit all of them looking for the unanswered threads. The old look had this little problem of "traffic-jam". Many of the unanswered threads dissapeared without response.
    But I will be able to get used to the new-old look. Anyway, my question here is:
    Just to avoid the posts disappearing without response, Mike: could it be possible...somehow...that the unanswered threads would remain at the top till they got any answer?
    I don't know if I made myself understood...

Thanks and congratulations for your work here. It's amazing!

Misao

35. shreck2 Senior Member

Spain
    I am very happy with these news. I never got used to the coloured division. Not that I couldn't get used to it, because I could, but I did not really like the rythm and the way of interacting with it... Hard to explain, I know, but I really "applaud the idea".

:) :)

Very-happy-Schreck2. :),

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  36. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    My plan is to have a tag that people can apply to their threads if there are no answers or they are unsatisfied with the answers that they have received. I hope to work out the details by the end of next week.

In the meantime, click Replies, then the arrow beside it to show the unanswered threads first. Or bookmark this: GV unanswered. ;)

37. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Hello, All,

I just wanted to put in my two cents worth. Being a former moderator and frequent user of these forums, I was dismayed and confused to come to the site to find...Colors! I'm so glad to see them gone; I never did try to even figure them out. I didn't really have the time. Now, I will be able to use the forums again without confusion! Thanks, Mike.

jacinta

38. gloris Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Perú, spanish
    Foreros,

Necesito que alguien me ayude porque en este momento me es imposible formular una pregunta, puedo ver respuestas a otras preguntas pero no encuentro la manera de ingresar para hacer la mía.

Gracias

Gloris

39. Cabeza tuna

Santiago, Chile
  40. gloris Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Perú, spanish
    Un millon de gracias Cabeza tuna

saludos

Gloris

41. SDLX Master

SDLX Master Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Spanish - Peru
    I have just found out that our forum is back to what it used to be. WTG Mike! The color forum wasn't bad. However, one single standard forum is better. ;)

42. alacant

alacant Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England, english
    Hi Mike,

"To err is human, to forgive is divine".

All is forgiven, thank you a thousand times.

Fly high.

43. ivanovic77

ivanovic77 Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish, Catalan - Spain
    Me alegro de que las cosas vuelvan a ser como antes. A mí nunca me gustaron los colores. De hecho, dejé de participar en el Spanish-English General Vocabulary a raíz de la división. Últimamente me preguntaba cómo alcancé los 1000 posts en menos de 2 meses en el año 2007, porque en 2008 no habré escrito ni 300. Y ahora lo entiendo. El Spanish GV es mucho más adictivo para mí cuando tiene este ritmo frenético.

Gracias Mike.

44. ascension

ascension Senior Member

New York
    English-United States
    Maybe it's because I got here after the colors, but after trying extra hard to get used to the single forum I have to say that I really prefer the colors. The speed of the single forum is overwhelming!

45. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Ah, but it saves at least me considerable time, as it allows me to go easily to the unanswered posts and avoid the crowded ones... And I also got here after the colors.

46. dani_katze Senior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    Hi,
    the forum has been a great help in my new job. I have to do a lot of translations regarding epilepsy and many people here helped me to do it! It also has helped me to improve english language too.

But now with the change of the colored forums to a single one, I realized that the respond is less than before and I have not receive any respond for about three post I wrote today :(

Hope this will change soon.

Anyway thank you for this great forum.

Dani

47. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    If 24 hours have passed and there are fewer (or no) responses to your questions, you can do the following:
    - post again to your thread, adding new information (if you post again, without adding additional context or information, it's called "bumping", and it's not allowed)
    - report your thread to the moderators, using the little report-a-post triangle in the upper-right corner of the post. The moderators might be able to help your thread.

Si han pasado 24 horas y hay menos (o cero) respuestas a tus preguntas, puedes hacer lo siguiente:
    - colocar otro mensaje con más información (si colocas un mensaje sin añadir más contexto o información, se llama "bumping" y no se permite).
    -reportar tu hilo a los moderadores, utilizando el triangulito rojo en la esquina derecha superior de tu mensaje. Los moderadores podrían ayudar tu hilo.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  48. dani_katze Senior Member

Chile
    Spanish
    muchas gracias fenixpollo!!!

49. elchoco

elchoco Senior Member

Barranquilla, Colombia
    English - UK
    I would concur that each thread seems to be receiving fewer responses before reaching the depths of pages 3-4 and beyond.

I always placed my queries in only one thread (the blue one) and just loitered there each time I visited.

(I hope someone's backed up the database)

50. gloris Senior Member

Lima, Perú
    Perú, spanish
    I am really lost now, when I go to "ask in the forum yourself" it opens a page that has no option to formulate the question I need to ask.

I was taking old threads related to the subject, but I have no responses. From 4 threads in the last 10 days I only got response for 1

What should I do??

Regards

Gloris