1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

no necesita hacerse el interesante escondiendo información

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by alumnadeseun, Jan 10, 2013.

1. alumnadeseun Senior Member

Castellano de España
    Hola, estoy buscando como se dice la frase "Usted ya es una persona interesante, no necesita hacerse el interesante escondiendo información" utilizando la expresión play hard to get.

You are an interesting person, you don't need play hard to get... concealing information ....???

Gracias!

2. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England
    Una opción:
    You're already an interesting/relevant person, you don't need to play hard to get, nor to hide/conceal information.

3. alumnadeseun Senior Member

Castellano de España
    Thank you Bondia! that sounds perfect!

4. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I'm not sure. The Spanish sentence seems to say "... by concealing information" - but I don't (yet) see how the concealing of information enables one to play hard to get. Furthermore, the WR dictionary gives "fingir lo que uno no es" for "hacerse el interesante", but "to pretend to be something that one is not" is not the same to me as "to play hard to get", so I would not like to venture a suggestion without knowing something about the context (though that may just be me; the matter may already be crystal-clear to members with a better command of Spanish).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. alumnadeseun Senior Member

Castellano de España
    Hello sound shift.

I'm joking with a friend who will not give me all the information and wants that I follow him asking a lot of times, ask him repeatedly until he agrees to give me all the information. I joke saying that he wants to be interesting by hiding information.

6. alumnadeseun Senior Member

Castellano de España
    Hello again sound shift.

fingir lo que uno no es" and "hacerse el interesante" it's not the same. Usted puede fingir ser cualquier cosa. Hacerse el interesante es en cierta manera llamar la atención de otra/otras personas.

7. alumnadeseun Senior Member

Castellano de España
    Sound shift, so for you it would be better You are an interesting person, you don't need play hard to get by concealing information?

Thank you.

8. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    En el segundo mensaje de este hilo tenemos una definición de "to play hard to get": To pretend to be less interested in someone than you really are as a way of making them more interested in you [...]. "To be interested" no es lo mismo que "to be interesting", así que creo que "to play hard to get" no cuadra, alumnadeseun.

9. alumnadeseun Senior Member

Castellano de España
    Gracias sound shift, entonces como lo traduciría usted? Se trata de una conversación con un amigo que no me quiere decir a qué hora va a llegar al aeropuerto para hacerme enfadar, es un juego, yo le contesto que él es una persona suficientemente interesante y que no necesita hacerse el interesante escondiéndome la información.

10. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Bueno, podrías decir, "There's no need to play the man of mystery to convince me that you're an interesting person because I know that already".

11. alumnadeseun Senior Member

Castellano de España
    Gracias por la ayuda sound shift, ya lo se para la próxima vez. :)

12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

"Play hard to get" usually means "be coy" in a romantic sense.