No one decides my fate but me

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Kadeddy, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kadeddy New Member

Hello, I'm new to the world of language and need some help.

My life motto is:

No one decides my fate but me

I want it tattooed, but in a way not everybody knows what it means.
    Is it possible to translate this in latin or are some words not possible to translate?
    If so, could you help me with that, I hate using online translators because they do more harm than good.

thanks in advance
  2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

nemo me destinet

might work, with a convenient ambiguity - "Let no-one direct me", but also "Let no-one make me his target".
  3. Kadeddy New Member

Ok, This just proves my aversion against online translators.

Google gave me this:
    Nemo decernit mea fatum sed me, this seems quite different from yours.....

What would i have said with these words? I'm quite curious
  4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Quite: never, ever, rely on Google for translations into Latin (or for that matter any other tongue).

"nemo decernit" makes some sort of sense as "No-one decrees/decides/discerns", but the rest is gobbledygook, since mea does not agree with fatum, sed means "but" in its sense as an adversative conjunction, whereas the sense you want is that of "except", "save", which would be nisi, and the accusative me is not governed by anything. nemo nisi ego fatum mihi (or, less elegantly, meum) decernit would be grammatically acceptable, but idiomatically crass. [ego] solus fatum mihi decerno would be better ("I alone determine fate for myself"). But for a motto you require something more pithily epigrammatic.
  5. Kadeddy New Member

thanx, I only use a translator for a guideline, but latin is too far out for me.

Nemo me destinet - Let no one direct me, sounds good and is correct, i think that will be the quote / motto.
  6. wandle

wandle Senior Member

English - British
    If not too late, other possibilities might be:

(a) Solum Penes Se: Under his own authority alone
    (b) Sortis Semper Suae Compos: Always master of his own fate.

These are both in third person ('he' rather than 'I').
    This is needed for (a), otherwise it might seem to suggest that other people were under your authority.

In (b), you could change suae to meae ('my own') but this seems more self-regarding and less dignified.
  7. Kadeddy New Member

Thanks, it is not too late, these things are not to be taken lightly.

Sortis Semper Suae Compos, sounds great, Always master of his own fate.
    That could be very well the one I was searching for.