no pun intended

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Argos77, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Argos77 Senior Member

Hi everybody!

Sometimes when a person is talking about some issue all of a sudden say "no pun intended".

What does "no pun intended mean"?

Thank you
  2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    A "pun" is a play on words, usually some sort of joke. Often, when someone makes a pun in a circumstance where this might not be obvious, he says "no pun intended" to call the reader or listener's attention to the fact that indeed a pun has been made and you ought to appreciate it.
  3. Esca Senior Member

Yes, often "no pun intended" does mean "Ha ha, did you just hear that joke I made accidentally (or at least I'm pretending I made it accidentally)."
    Such as:
    A girl is taking a bath, and gets some water on the floor. Her sister says, "You'd better clean that up, or you're going to be in a lot of hot water (meaning "trouble")--ha ha, no pun intended!"

Sometimes, however, it can actually mean that you didn't intend to make a joke.
    For example:
    A man with a broken hand is trying to carry his groceries, and a woman comes by and offers to help. She says, "Can I give you a hand (meaning "help you")? No pun intended!"
  4. Argos77 Senior Member

Many thanks folks. You're really great!!!
  5. toshev Senior Member

Australia, English
    "No pun intended" is often used to draw attention to the pun (with the hope that your audience will find it humorous). Where a gaff has been made, like the above example with the broken arm, I doubt that the apology for the inappropriate remark would be phrased as "no pun intended," unless one was reasonably sure that despite being inappropriate the funny side of it would be seen.
  6. pera11 Senior Member

What does "No pun intended" mean here?

- Kid, how’s things?

- Super. No pun intended.
  7. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    It almost certainly means the same as the answers above. I can't tell from what you posted just what the pun is, though. Possibly knowing the identity of the two speakers would help.
  8. Biffo Senior Member

English - England
    There is no pun in that dialogue. So either

1. The pun depends on some context you haven't told us or

2. The speaker doesn't know what 'pun' means.

Where did you find this? Do you have a link? What other information can you give us?
  9. pera11 Senior Member

Some old guy is waiting a younger guy at the toilet.
    This is their second meeting and first meeting was also at the toilet(an old guy also waited younger one at the toilet then).
    And also a young guy is a superhero.
  10. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    There's the pun. "Super" would be a reasonably normal thing to say in response to "how's things," but if you're a superhero, then everything is super, right?
  11. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    The pun is that the superhero says that he's super which could mean he's doing very doing well or that he has super powers.