1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

No se me ocurrió

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by wolfman1, Sep 28, 2010.

1. wolfman1 Junior Member

English - USA
    Will someone please translate this? I am having trouble with the meaning of the se & me combination. Are they both indirect pronouns or is it the impersonal "se"?

For example, no me occurío - it did not occur to me. But how does the "se" change the meaning?

The original sentence - No se me ocurrió, como a los héroes de las
    novelas cuando vuelven a la vida, palparme todo el cuerpo a fin de ver si soñaba.

Please help, thank you!

2. Borobilla New Member

ROTTERDAM
    EUSKARA
    Hello Wolfman1

"No me ocurrió" means "It didn't happen to me"

"No se me ocurrió" means " I did not think of it"

Other examples:
    No se me ocurre nada = I can't think of anything
    No me ocurre nada= Nothing happens to me

Hope this helps
    Regards

3. wolfman1 Junior Member

English - USA
    Thank you, I am just confused as to how it is possible to combine se and me for one action. Unless this is just an idiom? I still do not fully understand.

4. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain / incorrect Spanish
    Yes, I guess this is a tricky verb for foreign learners. It's a bit like "gustar", but pronominal: "ocurrirse", with a compulsory indirect object:

(La idea) no se me ocurrió.

"La idea" would be the subject, "se ocurrió" the pronominal verb and "me" (to me) the compulsory IO.

A little like "the idea didn't dawn on me."

Is it clearer now?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  5. Jundherhead New Member

English
    Is the construction of 'se' + 'me' only for this verb?!?!

6. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    No, it's used in other constructions as well.

Se me ha caído el móvil al agua.
    Se me ha salido un bracket.
    Se me viene la sangre por la nariz.

7. Jundherhead New Member

English
    I'm having trouble understanding the use of 'se' here....Would it be incorrect to say "me viene la sangre por la nazriz?"

8. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    Maybe it'd be easier to think about it like this:

In the example

Se me ha caído el móvil al agua - "The mobile phone fell into the water (on me)."

That is, the se is a way to describe the action as being carried out by something other than the speaker (or whomever) and so the me/le/te/os (or whatever) is included to implicate at whom the effect of the action is directed. Without the se I don't think the sentence makes sense, because then the target of the action becomes me which I think is simply grammatically incorrect and would probably raise an eyebrow or two. Perhaps someone else will come along and correct or describe it better, but that's how I understand it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  9. Jundherhead New Member

English
    Good response thank you...I guess things like this will often boil down to "It's just like this..." I wish I didn't have to see everything through the prism of English!

10. irland5 Senior Member

spain spanish
    Hi,
    Another examples could be:
    `` Se me ha pasado el arroz para tener hijos´´
    `` Se me ha olvidado escribirte´´
    ``Se me viene la sangre a la nariz´´ For me this expression sounds very weird I´m sorry

11. irland5 Senior Member

spain spanish
    *por la nariz´´