1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

No worries or No worry

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Rach, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Rach New Member

Chinese
    Hi there,

When people say thank you to me, Should I say "no worries" or "No worry".

Thank you in advance

2. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    We say "No worries" (always plural).

You can also say "No problem" (always singular).

3. Lancel0t

Lancel0t Senior Member

Philippines
    Philippines - Filipino/English
    You can also say "Don't worry". If a person said "thank you" to you, you can also reply "you are welcome." which is the most suitable response to thank you.

4. Rach New Member

Chinese
    Thank you guys :)

5. antonovich New Member

New Zealand, English
    "Not a worry" is also used in some places (NZ for sure), and is understood everywhere.

6. Nuh_Yamin Junior Member

Indonesia
    Indonesian
    Can we reply "not a big deal"?

7. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
  8. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    On Friday, I phoned my phone company to make a payment which is due the next day. I heard the customer representative saying to me:

"The payment has gone through, there is no worry about your phone being cutting off over the weekend."

Singular here? Please comment.

9. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I don't know if this is correct or not, but it's idiomatic. It's basically a shorter way to say, "There is no (reason to) worry about your phone being cut off." And actually no worries isn't 100 percent grammatical either. Idioms often aren't, after all.

I never say no worries, by the way. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not an idiom I've ever used. To me, it is Australian English (at least that's what I associate it with), and while it has in recent years become common over here, I've never acquired the habit of saying it. I am more likely to say "There's no worry about your phone being cut off" than I am to say "There's no worries."

10. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    Should it be "There are no worries"?

11. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Both are fine as far as I am concerned. The speaker could be referring to several related worries or to just one main worry - that of having one's phone cut off.

Edit: In retrospect, I am not at all sure I stated this clearly, so let me expand a bit. The expression I don't use is the idiomatic expression "No worries," which is used as Nick describes it in post #2 of this thread:
    A: "I appreciate your help."
    B: "No worries."

There is, as I mentioned above, nothing wrong with it but it's just not in my personal lexicon although it's become increasingly common in the U.S. in recent years.

But worry is a countable noun (at least usually), so it is definitely possible for me to use "no worries" as part of a sentence: "You need have no worries about the house. I'll take care of everything." Since worry is a countable noun, there are times when "no worries" is best but other times when "no worry" is best. In your sentence, Sunyaer, I'd be inclined to use "no worry."

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    My question was that in the above sentence, "worries" is plural, so the verb should be "are" rather than "is" (There's). The sentence should read "There are no worries." Am I correct?

13. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    "No worries" is a stand-alone statement meaning "no problem". It's typical of Australian English, but is also used in other varieties.
    This sounds strange to me: I would expect "there's no need to worry about..." or "there's no likelihood/prospect of..."
    I would also find "there are no worries about your phone being cut off" strange. It would sound as if the phone company doesn't feel concerned; it wouldn't sound at all reassuring:(.

14. sunyaer Senior Member

Chinese
    As my phone is on a pre-paid contract, in which I pay in advance for next month service. In this context, it is my responsibility to make timely payment. So the phone company is not doing anything wrong to cut off my service if they do not receive the payment. They do not have to feel concerned. That's why the representative said to me after seeing the payment gone through: "there is no worry...".

Does this justify the usage here?

15. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Possibly, sunyaer. I would still expect "There is no need to worry about your phone being cut off over the weekend" rather than "There is no worry about your phone being cut off over the weekend."

It might be just me....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  16. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Yes, if worries is used, the plural are should be used as well. It should be either "There is no worry" or "There are no worries."

However, I think the last one sounds strange. Not wrong, just not idiomatic.

I kind of doubt it, though it's possible. The representative is either saying "You don't have to worry" or "We are not worried." But the first sounds most likely to me.

I more or less agree, although "There is no worry about your phone being cut off" doesn't sound that strange. To me, it just sounds like a shortened version of "There is no need to worry."

"There are no worries" does sound odd to me, though. I can imagine sentences in which "no worries" fits well, but this isn't one of them. It's not ungrammatical, but it doesn't sound idiomatic.

17. skippyB New Member

english
    Sure...i often say "No big whup" which is the same as "No big deal"