Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Encolpius, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, in colloquial Czech the word "no" is the equivalent of yes. I know there is "no" in Polish, too, but I am not sure it can be used instead of "tak", e.g.:

- Pójdziesz ze mną?
    - No.

2. DW

DW Banned

Yup, in the given context it means "tak".
  3. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    No meaning "tak" is also colloquial in Polish and to be avoided in formal contexts.

It can also accompany "tak": No tak. The meaning is somewhat more emphatic then.
  4. DW

DW Banned

Or even more colloquial, "no ta".
  5. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I find both "no" and "ta" colloquial, perhaps the former a tiny bit more so. The "no" in, for example, "no ta" or "no tak" serves a different purpose than the separate one meaning "tak". It can be used to modify other words, as in:
    No nie, znów nie ma wody.
    No i co teraz będzie?
    No i jak?
    No co teraz powiesz?
    Chcesz iść do kina? [Ktoś potakuje.] No dobrze, to pójdziemy na XYZ.
    etc., etc.
    Hence the force of "ta" in "no ta" is thrown into relief along with its connotations by the emphasising "no", whose connotations from its other meaning in cuestion may sneak into this one.
    The use of double "no no" where the first one emphises the other one meaning "tak" is rather marginal in typical contexts to my experience (I can't recall now whether I've actually come across it, but maybe someone will be able to provide one).
  6. jasio Senior Member

I'd even say: very colloquial. I remember using it quite regularly when I was a kid, but since then I used less and less often.

"Ta", on the other hand, especially when extended ("Taaaa", "Tiaaaa") is more an expression of emotions than a mere conformation. Such as in:

"Złapałem dziś ogromną rybę" ('I've cought a really big fish today')
    "Taaa" ('Yeah' = I say, I believe you, but in fact I do not)

The only meaning which cames to my mind is a sign of surprise or admire.

"Popatrz, jaki obrazek namalowałem" ('Look what a picture I've drawn')
    "No, no. To naprawdę ładny obrazek" ('Well, well. It's a really nice picture')
  7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

"No no", pronounced wit a specific intonation can also be a mild expression of disapproval. Often accompanied with waving the index finger. Used mostly to small children.
  8. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Yes, this is all fine; however, can you think of a situation in which (the meaning of) "no no" could be identical to "no tak"/"no ta"?
  9. Ben Jamin Senior Member

No, rather hesitation, but not direct approval, lest it be a very reluctant one, like "No, no. No doooobrze ..." pronounced wit a veeeery long "o", and falling tone.
  10. vianie Senior Member

Very often I use to hear the Polish "no" with a specific tone in it that is speaking to me "Masz rację i zgadzam się w tym z Tobą w 100%".

If I am not a Slav I would rank "no" in the Top 5 words used in Polish.
  11. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    One of my Spanish friends once told me and a few of my Polish compatriots that the most frequent word he heard while we were talking in Polish was "tak".
    It's still different, though.
  12. Ben Jamin Senior Member

It was a reply to a question about "no, no", not "no". These are two distinctly different things, but they were mixed together in post #11.
  13. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Yes, but the use of "no no" I'm having in mind is witout a coma, where the first "no" is an emphasising particle modifying the second "no" which is an affirmative particle meaning "tak"/"ta", as in "no tak"/"no ta" respectively. That's why I think the example "No, no. No doooobrze ..." is different, because it seems to me it uses "no, no" to repeat the affirmation as if you said "tak, tak". The "no" in "No doooobrze ..." is the regular emphasising particle modifying "dobrze". Unless I'm missing something.
  14. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

This is conceivable, if exremely rare. I vaguely recollect my friend saying 'no no' as a sign of following what I was saying to him. This might have been his idiolect, though.

On reflection: I now see that's not quite what you meant.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  15. Ben Jamin Senior Member

From my experience I can recollect people using "no", repeated at irregular intervals with the meaning "I'm listening to you", something like Japanese "hai".
  16. NotNow Senior Member

My cousins do this all the time. They also use no to break the silence.
  17. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Are they Polish?
  18. NotNow Senior Member

Tak, mieszkają w Polsce.