1. Anne Senior Member

There is a (an? I've never been sure of the correct grammer here) Hispanic nightclub in my area called NOA NOA; the name didn't get my attention until I saw a song by Juan Gabriel called NOA NOA.

I cannot find reference to it anywhere. Can someone please tell me if NOA NOA has an English meaning?

As always, I'm very grateful for this forum.

Thank you,
  2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    For all your "a/an" needs. ;)
  3. Ilmo

Ilmo Member Emeritus

It is a hebrew female first name.
    The singer Ajinoam Nini (hebrew) uses Noa as her artist name. She was born in Tel Aviv 23.6.1969.
  4. Anne Senior Member

Outsider, I don't understand your reply, but I think you're joking, right?.
    So NOA NOA is not a Spanish word at all. I don't get the connection, but it helps to know I can quit looking for one.
  5. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Click on the link I posted, to see a thread about whether to use "a" or "an" before words that start with an "h". There were others here in the forum.
  6. Soy Yo Senior Member

EEUU - inglés
    Thanks, Outsider. Very useful link. I generally use "a" or "an" depending on how I pronounce the word that begins with "h".

If I pronounce the "h", I say "a historical".
    If for some reason it strikes me to mute the "h", I say "an (h)istorical". (I don't even make an attempt at "voicing" the "h".

I think "historical" may be the only word like this that I switch back and forth. I would say always "a hysterical man" (probably :)).
  7. lsd Member

Hola, I think that regardless of other meanings that Noa may have as a word... in this case I'm pretty sure that the name of the nightclub you refer to comes from Juan Gabriel's song which also talks about a night club in his home town, which is also called Noa Noa, the song goes "vamos al Noa Noa, vamos a bailar".
  8. Anne Senior Member

Besos, Isd.
    Thanks to everyone -
  9. cochabamba

cochabamba Senior Member

La Paz, Bolivia
    Cochabamba - Bolivia
    There is a "villera" band in Argentina called Noa Noa. A very sticky rithm, indeed.
  10. loladamore

loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Not quite - the Noa Noa is in Ciudad Juárez (Juanga is from somewhere in Michoacán) but yes, it's a nightclub, or rather an antro de mala muerte. Noa Noa means "paradise" in Tahitian, apparently.
  11. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    Puerto Rico - Spanish/English
    Ciudad Juarez is his hometown as he has said in interviews. It might not be his birthplace.

By the way, Noa Noa is the title of a famous book by Paul Gauguin illustrated with his paintings on Polynesian life. The night club in Ciudad Juarez looked like a Tiki bar and had a tropical theme, according to people I know in El Paso.