noggin'

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ymar, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    There's this song: http://www.kinglaoghaire.com/site/lyrics/song_9.html

I don't recognize the word "noggin'" used in it. It seems not to be in dictionaries (there is only 'nogging' meaning brickwork). What is its meaning and etymology? Where/when/by whom is/was it used?

2. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I can't view your link, but "noggin" in the U.S. is a colloquial word for "head/skull". "He bumped his noggin" means that he bumped his head on something.

3. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    That's strange you can't see it. Works fine for me. Anyway, it's an adjective in the song.

4. kalamazoo Senior Member

US, English
    In this case, it is probably some kind of dialect version of "nagging."

After looking at all the lyrics, my explanation doesn't work,though,because his boots and his bed are also "noggin',noggin'." So this seems to be some Irish usage that I'm not familar with.

Okay on further investigation, Google provides the answer:
    Used in irish tunes to gracefully omit "Bloody Foogin". In partiucular this is to be found used in the tune "All For Me Grog", whose lyrics are easily found on the internet.

I assume "bloody foogin'" is in its turn equivalent to 'bloody fuckin'"

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. ymar Junior Member

Polish
    Thank you!

6. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    Noggin' in Ireland is a fairly widespread word used to refer to your head.

7. Noggin is also an old measure (a quarter of a pint) of an alcoholic drink, but the use of the apostrophe in noggin' in this song must make it nogging.

I'm sure Kalamazoo' research has nailed down the answer to this question.

Rover

8. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    I believe that in Ireland, this is known as a naggin', i.e. a naggin' of vodka.

9. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    Neither noggin (head) nor naggin (measure of spirits) has an apostrophe as far as I'm aware.

I've never heard noggin' used to replace fuckin' but that of course doesn't mean it doesn't exist and it would make some sense in this context.

10. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    Ask Oxford gives
    noggin

noun [SIZE=-1]informal[/SIZE] 1 a person’s head. 2 a small quantity of alcoholic drink, typically a quarter of a pint.

Definition 2 fits....

GF..

11. Kumpel Senior Member

London, England
    British English
    I don't think so.
    As has been said, the apostrophe makes it nogging.

kalamazoo's answers fits best in my opinion.
    Some IrE speakers might use noggin' instead of "fuckin'" in the same way I might slip bloody in in company where "fuckin'" wouldn't be acceptable.

Lloyd