1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Nombres fantásticos (cuentos infantiles)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by amaul, Apr 29, 2013.

1. amaul Senior Member

Sevilla, España
    Spanish - Andaluz
    Hola a todos:

Tengo un reto interesante: traducir un pequeño cuento (lo cuenta un personaje en una novela) infantil, en el que los personajes tienen nombres. Es un fragmento muy corto y sin embargo me está creando problemas. Este es:

"Puck, the well-known wizard & changer of things, including himself, has had his wand stolen by the dreaded lugs. Puck sets off in pursuit, with his sidekick, Fin. However, without his wand, his spells only half-work, & he & Fin end up as a semi-banana-boat, heading downstream to recapture the wand."

I would like to ask you if by any change, the names of the characters are from other tales or movies and what connotations do they have in English? Do their names indicate somehting about their colour, quailities, etc.? As this is a very common technique in children stories.

The terms I need:

Puck: Malillo
    Fin: Aleta
    lugs: orejones

I know "puck" is like "duende malévolo", "fin" is "aleta" (isn't it? can it be something else?) and "lug" can be ear. But I think I could a bit more creative, don't you think?
    Another option is to leave them as such, but I wouldn't like that.
    Thanks a lot!

2. VocabloTrad Senior Member

Barcelona
    English
    I would leave them as they are.

They may be allusions to Celtic mythological beings. I wouldn't say Fin or Lug had anything to do with "aletas" or "orejas".

There might be a Pan-Celtic connection between Lug and Lugo en Galicia but I'm not sure...

3. amaul Senior Member

Sevilla, España
    Spanish - Andaluz
    Thanks for your advice. Why do you thing there might be celtic allusions? Any clue?

4. VocabloTrad Senior Member

Barcelona
    English
    They just sound Celtic or perhaps Nordic (Finland? I'm just guessing)