Discussion in 'All Languages' started by faranji, Apr 24, 2007.

1. faranji Senior Member

Bahia (Brasil)
    They call them gorgios in England, gajes in Brazil, payos in Spain...

I'd like to know what is the term used by gypsies in your country to refer to non-gypsies.

Thank you all!
  2. cajzl Senior Member

in the Czechlands (probably in Slovakia, too):

gadža (read: gajah) or gadžo (in the singular number)
  3. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I think the word that Gypsies use in Portugal today is gajão (there are probably other words for it). Curiously, I think that this is the augmentative of another word which has become widespread in Portugal, and is now used by Gypsies and non-Gypsies alike, gajo ("guy").
  4. MOC Senior Member

I think gajão is just a more respectful way of referring to non-Gypsies in Portugal (not sure though). I believe that word is used as the augmentative of "gajo" as well. As outsider said "gajo" is now used by everyone (meaning "guy").
    Gypsies at least around here use gadjo to refer to non-gypsies.
    I always thought this happened because it was a way of saying "gadje" (foreigner in romani).
  5. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    The traditional Finnish word for gypsy is "mustalainen". It could be translated black person (musta = black). It refers to the black hair that is common to the gypsies but very rare among Finns.

Nowadays it's illegal to use the word "mustalainen".

Gypsies use a corresponding word "valkolainen" about us non-gypsies (valko = white). Funny enough, this word is not illegal.
  6. OldAvatar Senior Member

In Romania, gipsies use two terms for non-gipsies: rumân (sg., masc.) / rumâncă (sg., fem.)and gagiu (sg., masc.) / gagică (sg., fem.).

Both terms got into Romanian language too, especially gagică, as a slang word defining a nice girl.
  7. Chazzwozzer

Chazzwozzer Senior Member

I'm not gypsy so I don't know the exact answer, but if you ask how they call(as in yelling etc) non-gypsies, then it's "abla" (sister) or "abi"(brother).
  8. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    For German:

gypsy: Zigeuner

non-gypsy: Nicht-Zigeuner

gorgio: Gadscho (pl. Gadsche)
  9. floridasnowbird

floridasnowbird Senior Member

Germany/ Florida (winter)
    Germany German

for German:

metaphorically: Sesshafter
  10. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Do Romanians ever use rumân(că) for român(că)? Just curious why Romania in English is sometimes written and pronounced Rumania.
  11. Alijsh Senior Member

Persian - Iran
    ditto :) We say kowli to gypsy but I don't know what gypsies call us non-gypsies.
  12. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Spain / incorrect Spanish
    In Spanish we have these words of gypsy origin : gacho / gachó (man) and gachi / gachí (woman). As fas as I know, they can refer to men or women of any ethnicity, but I've found it interesting that they seem to be related to words mentioned in previous posts.

Also interesting is that, in Catalan, the words 'paio' and 'paia', originally used by gypsies to refer to the rest of the population, have entered the everyday language, meaning simply man and woman.
  13. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    That's what happened with gajo and gaja in peninsular Portuguese.
  14. OldAvatar Senior Member

Especially in American English, Romania is sometimes written Roumania>Rumania because they've got the name from the French Roumanie. So, it hasn't got anything to do with gipsies.

Romanians do not use rumân. The term was used for centuries by Turkic nations (especially Turks but also some Turkish speaking Tatars) to name the Latin people from the Eastern Roman Empire. i.e. people from Rum (Rome).
  15. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    In Arabic a gypsy is غجري (ghajari) and the word for non- is غير (ghayr) so I believe a non-gypsy would be غير غجري .
  16. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

In Czech - gadžo. The pronunciation of "dž" is like "j" in English.
  17. doman

doman Junior Member

Vietnam, Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
    In Vietnamese language, gypsy is Di-gan, :) :) :) , and if they were in Vietnam, the non-gypsy will be "người Việt" -Vietnamese, of course !:D :D :D

Maybe they will call Vietnamese Gajoviet...:D
  18. KaRiNe_Fr

KaRiNe_Fr Senior Member

France, Provence
    Français, French - France
    It's "gadjo" in French I think (meaning "blanc" as "non-gipsy" isn't it? cf. the movie "gadjo dilo" meaning "le blanc fou").
  19. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    I thought French-speaking Gypsies called the French gadjé not gadjo.
  20. KaRiNe_Fr

KaRiNe_Fr Senior Member

France, Provence
    Français, French - France
    It seems that gadjo/gadgé/gadji work too in slang. ;)
  21. Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    It seems that you are calling them non-gipsies (if you read this thread)
  22. MissChief New Member

netherlands dutch
    Wow, this is the topic I have been looking for!
    In Dutch we don't actually have a word for this, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with my search.
    Can the feminine word for gajo also be spelled as gaja or would it be gadja?
    What if I would like to add the word lolo (red) would it be gaja lola/ lola gaja...
    In other words; how do I derive the grammar?

Thanks a lot!
  23. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Portuguese, the feminine is gaja indeed. In Romany, I do not know.
  24. gorilla Junior Member

Hungarian - Hungary
    In Hungary they just call us non-gypsies: 'Hungarian' ('magyar').
    Maybe there is another word, but I never hear that.
  25. jonquiliser

jonquiliser Senior Member

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    It seems in Swedish it would be "gajos" or "gajé".
  26. Senior Member

Spain, Spanish

It could be gaji (gají?), as most feminines in Romany end on -i

MissChief (nice nick): gají lolí?

In Spanish Romany (calé) we have gachí (female) and gachó [see jmartins, #12], with probably just the same meaning.
    Then maybe paya/payo were the non-Gipsy way to say it?
  27. avok

avok Banned

I have made all those quotes because all the words that mean "non gypsy" in those languages look like the gypsy word "Gacı" in Turkish !! But it simply means " a woman". It does not mean non-gypsy. But I guess all these words are related, right??
  28. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

I think Romas use gádzso.
  29. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    I'm not aware of a name for non-gypsies in Arabic, I don't believe there is. However, since gypsies are nomads (one way or the other, at least) I would imagine they would use the word for non-nomad in Arabic, which is HaDari حضري.
  30. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    This is literally the same as all the other versions (gajo, Gadsche, etc.) - it is the native Gypsy word (the word used in Romanes, Roman or whatever the local Gypsies call their language in their mother tongue). All versions of "non-gypsy" that sound like 'gajo' or similar are derivatives of this and terms used by the Roma to mean Non-Roma.

This is very important, because people who aren't Rom should not use these terms like 'gajo' - it is used only by those who belong to the group (and also those who are outsiders to the group but accepted by the Roma as 'friends': I know a few people who have such close links to Gypsies and who also may use 'gajo', because they are accepted by the Roma as being part of them, in a way).

All other terms - like 'Non-Gypsy' (if this at all exists) or 'Nicht-Zigeuner', are different, they may be used by outsiders only.
    The Arabic terms quoted by Mahaodeh might be such words for Non-Gypsies used by Non-Gypsies, right?
  31. Polak2008 Banned

"Polacy" (Polish people)
    I don't think they have any special word......
    but they cal themslves Roma
  32. SofiaB Senior Member

English Asia
    In Romanes (Gypsy language) it is gajo(m) gaje f) gaji pl) These or some variations can be found in countries with Gypsies.
  33. Destruida Senior Member

English (England)
    Gadje collectively or for a woman, gadjo specifically a man. They also say les sédentaires (as opposed to travellers.)
    In British Romany Jib (dialect) it's usually gorger.
  34. Destruida Senior Member

English (England)
    Well said! Even then - even if you're married into a family and have children, live on the road, everything - you shoulpdn't assume or presume and should always be respectful adn not proud. Anyway, respect is an essential tenet of traditional gypsy life.
  35. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    In my country I 've heard that Roma people also use the term "balamo" for non-Roma people. I 'm not sure about its meaning, maybe it means "different", "white".
  36. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Hi Perseas, «μπαλαμό» /bala'mo/ and «μπαλαμνό» /bala'mno/ are words of the Sepeči Romani (i.e. dialect of the Roma living in the Balkans and Turkey) and describe the non-Roma ethnic Greek; the non-Roma ethnic Turk is Xoraxaj, while the non-Roma in general, is Gadže or Gomi.

For more information:
  37. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Σ' ευχαριστώ για την πληροφορία, apmoy70