non plus de la seule sensibilité mais aussi de la raison

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by l'arpete, Jul 21, 2011.

1. l'arpete Member

English, USA

The phrase above is proving rather unwieldy.

I have translated it as:

no longer just be a form of sensitivity but also of reason?

But I'm not sure that it can't be improved. This is the context--a philosophical text.

Autrement dit, l'espace en tant que forme (on conviendra, pour la seule commodité, de négliger la dimension temporelle) ne serait-il pas une forme a priori non plus de la seule sensibilité mais aussi de la raison ?

Thanks for your thoughts!
  2. harrythelm Senior Member

USA English
    Perhaps this: not merely a form (matter?) of sensitivity but of reason as well
  3. l'arpete Member

English, USA
    Thank you, I do like 'merely' and 'as well' but I'll stick with 'form'--this is a philosophical text that is studded with "forms".

The busy seamstress
  4. Uncle Bob Senior Member

British English
    Hello again,
    "Sensitivity" bothers me - it makes me think of touchiness, fineness of feeling etc. whereas here I think "sensibilité" refers to the senses. Also I have a feeling that the "de" is not "of" but "for": "not only for the senses alone but also for reason".
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. l'arpete Member

English, USA
    Excellent point about sensitivity--and I've just found the that weighs in on the side of "sensibility". Funny how in weeks of this I had never found the dictionary!

I plan to go with:

not be merely a form of sensibility but of reason as well.
  6. Uncle Bob Senior Member

British English
    Not sure how space can be a form of reason! That's why I thought it would be "for".
    Given, from the other posts, it seems to concern Greek and medieval philosophy it isn't surprising that "form" appears a lot since "form" was much discussed as the property of things (material and immaterial -such as angels!) by which they can be apprehended, individualised and compared.
  7. l'arpete Member

English, USA
    Dear Uncle Bob,
    Thank you so much for persisting: I've just be reviewing the preceding paragraph and "for" makes much more sense! ;)